DVD Rewriter

Ritchbee 23:29 17 Oct 04

Brought a DVD RW player the other day from Ebuyer. However it didn't come with any software or instructions, cables etc.

I already have a CD rewriter so can you still use it or do you have to disconnect it.

Could someone tell me what I need to do in order to get it functioning.

This will be my first time at adding a new piece of hardware so I do not want to muck it up.

Could someone be kind enough to put me on the right track.

Many thanks

JonnyTub 23:39 17 Oct 04

try here click here

THE TERMINATOR 23:46 17 Oct 04

You need an IDE cable and a spare drive bay to install it, and some software such as Nero Burning by Ahead Software to burn DVD's....T

gazza38 23:48 17 Oct 04

If you have windows XP you don't need to install any drivers.Connect the new drive to your second IDE cable (the same cable as your current drive)
at the end of the cable.Set the jumper switch to master on your new drive.Connect your old drive on the lower connection (closer to the motherboard)and set the jumper switch to slave.
It's as easy as that.Windows Xp will give the drive a letter automatically.Install third party software,like easy CD creator or Nero,from which you can choose which drive you want to use.

JonnyTub 23:51 17 Oct 04

by the way ritchbee let me know if that tutorial is any good or needs more explanation. If you haven't guessed it's my own.

THE TERMINATOR 23:51 17 Oct 04

Nero showtime is included with the above and will play DVD's....T

Ritchbee 00:13 18 Oct 04

Looks good, so am I a guinea pig !!.

For a computer novice like myself who needs every step explained.

You could also include a section on what to do if your changing from a CD Rewriter to a DVD Rewriter.

Good instructions never the less.

JonnyTub 00:17 18 Oct 04

yes your a guinea pig :-)

As for exchanging cd for dvd, it's a case of remove, note jumper settings and replace.

Noted: will add this to my site, not till after crimbo though.

Ritchbee 00:26 18 Oct 04

Can you keep your CD rewriter.

Is there any point ?

Assume you need to use the IDE cable that was attached to the CD rewriter

Can you attach another one or does the depend on your motherboard ?.

JonnyTub 10:26 18 Oct 04

List the number of cd drives, dvd drives and hard drives you have. By default a standard motherboard will only physically allow for connection of four devices. This would usually consist of 1 or 2 hdd's and 1 or 2 cd/dvd drives. If you find you have no spare ide connector (2 on each ide cable/channel) then you'll have to buy a pci ide/atapi expansion card, which are very cheap (mine cost just £6). This card will allow for another 4 ide/atapi devices to be added.

However, it's most likely the case (especially as this is your first upgrade) that there is a spare ide connector in your machine, so you can leave your cd writer in, it's handy for disc to disc copys and mostly probably writes to cd's quicker than your dvd drive.
If your putting this drive on the same cable as another device then set it as slave by following the tutorial in my click here, and if the drive is to go on it's own cable, set it to master,
You'll have to locate a spare slot in the front of your pc. slide the drive in and nip tight with screws making sure it's flush with the front of the case. Attach the ide and power molex's.

Hope this helps, but it would help us explain better if we knew what you already have installed on the ide channels.

Ritchbee 13:18 18 Oct 04

I have a HDD, DVD Rom and CD Rewriter(both samsung)and not forgetting a Floppy drive currently residing on my PC.

Great response to my query can't thank you enough for the info you've provided to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…