DVD Rewriiter Drive Problem

will1971 16:09 21 May 07

Hi,

I have a DVD rewriter drive which has had no issues until now.

Whenever I put any disc in the drive does nothing except the light flashes for a few seconds.

I have tried inserting a lens cleaner to try and clean it however this has not been recognised either.

Anybody have any suggestions? I only want to get a new drive as a last resort.

Thanks,
William

MAJ 16:17 21 May 07

Sounds like the lens is having problems reading the the disk. Is it happening with both CDs and DVDs? If it is, then you might try opening the case, and checking the leads are attached correctly. If they are, and a different make of CD/DVD doesn't help, then you are likely looking at getting a new rewriter.

Gongoozler 16:18 21 May 07

Hi will1971. You only want to get a new drive as a last resort, but in my experience this is most often the only solution. You don't tell us how old the drive is, but failure of the laser is not at all uncommon.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 21 May 07

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

will1971 16:31 21 May 07

Thanks for all the replies. My drive is about 2 years old so a replacement may be required.

I'll try Fruit Bat's file to see if that works, if not I'll try opening to make sure that the cables are connected correctly.

Failing that I'll buy a new one.

Thanks,
William

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now