DVD replay video jerky and sound poor

domino12 20:17 04 Oct 05

Hi Fellas..DVD play is poor, video is clear but jerky and sound awful. I have DMA enabled 'if available'. I've tried various codecs and it doesn't improve. It's on a Howlett Packard PC and I've spent hours on their help line and they can't solve it. I'd be glad of any sugestions. Is it a knackered player? Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 20:25 04 Oct 05

Is this a new fault? Did it used to play ok?

domino12 20:30 04 Oct 05

HI It's new machine..It played OK the first few times then went wrong. The help line assured me that it was not a mechanical fault.

Totally-braindead 20:35 04 Oct 05

You have to take what any helpline says with a pillar of salt as they haven't actually seen the fault only heard your description of it.

First thing I'd try is defragging the hard drive and see what happens. If that doesn't help and assumming you have the original DVD player software is go to control panel, add/remove programs delete it and reinstall it and see what happens.

If this doesn't help then post back as it may be that if you've had the PC for a while that theres other programs running in the background dragging on the power of the PC.

Stuartli 20:41 04 Oct 05

What are you using to play DVDs? Is it Windows Media Player or PowerDVD or something else?

How new is new? A defrag on a new machine wouldn't appear to offer too much against perhaps checking that all codecs are enabled (and are all present and correct) or uninstalling the software and reinstalling it.

You should also check that all the leads and connections to the DVD drive are firm and correctly attached at both ends.

domino12 20:52 04 Oct 05

The PC is about a month old. The play quality is the same whatever software I use WMP10, PowerDVD etc. Thanks for the sugestion to check connections I'll open up and have a look.

Monoux 21:02 04 Oct 05

If this PC is only a month old be wary of opening up or you could invalidate the guarantee.
If it were me I'd take it back to wherever you bought if from and let them resolve the problem or refund you your pennies

Babou 21:58 04 Oct 05

The same thing happened to me yesterday, on a newish laptop. Task manager revealed that the CPU was running at 100% even with no applications open. The culprit turned out to be the Roxio CD/DVD creator program, which I installed last week. The laptop helpline chap suggested I backtrack by uninstalling 3rd-party apps & this was the first program I took off - instant result.

domino12 22:10 04 Oct 05

Thanks for that Babou..I'll give that a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…