DVD Region Codes

Tablet 13:25 01 Nov 06

Hi,
I am having problems with DVD Region Codes.
Although I have been using the computer DVD player
for watching films for over twelve months without
any problems, it has now suddenly come up with the
Region Codes Error = (Region playback control)
"This DVD player has been fixed to region 1.
Only those discs that support this region can
be played".
The odd thing about this, is that all the DVD's I
have been playing, appear to be region 2.
It is as though the Region Code has changed
on its own.
Incidentally I ran the small "driveinfo22" program
which said the Region Code was 2.
Please can you help.
I run XP Windows.

Regards
Tablet

RicScott 14:20 01 Nov 06

Do you usually, or have you changed the region code manually a few times??

Usually with PCs, you can only change the region code up to 3 times then it locks.

Have a look at somewhere like dvdexploder to try and unlock it..Remember, it's up to you if you follow the info..I'm not saying do it, just look at the site..
click here

Totally-braindead 15:00 01 Nov 06

My DVD player has not got a region selected yet as I have never played other than region 2 DVDs on my PC. As far as I know what RicScott says is correct you can only change the region 3 times after that it locks. If you have changed the region before and its now locked basically you are stuck and you can either try some of the software fixes which say they can unlock the drive. Though I am the same as RicScott in that I've never had to do it and have no advice regarding what programs work etc. Or buy another drive.
If as you say the drive is still set as region 2 and all you have ever played is region 2 then why it won't play is a puzzle. Only suggestion I can offer is delete and reinstall whatever program you use to play DVDs and see what that does.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 01 Nov 06

There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

xvi has written up an excellent article with even more information click here

postie24 18:48 01 Nov 06

Try this free trial download. I use it and it lets you play any dvds.I use power dvd as the default player click here

Stuartli 19:26 01 Nov 06

In the Device Manager facility to change Regions it's either four or five times before it is permanently locked to the final choice (highlight your optical drive in Device Manager>Properties>DVD Region tab).

Tablet 15:15 02 Nov 06

Thank you for all the information guys,
I realy appreciate it.

Regards
Tablet

Tablet 10:47 03 Nov 06

Tablet, regarding DVD Region Codes.

Thank you for the "free trial download".
It worked first time, you are a life saver.

Once again thanks pal.

Regards
Tablet

Stuartli 11:13 03 Nov 06

Variation on postie24's link:

click here

postie24 18:34 03 Nov 06

Glad it worked tablet

David4637 15:53 04 Nov 06

Which Region free S/W did you use from the web page that worked. Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac