DVD Recording Standards

Granddad Ray 15:41 29 Dec 05

I recently installed a DVD unit onto my PC and I am confused as to the relevance of the various recording methods available. The R and RW and RAM options are self evident but what are the uses of DVD+D, DVD-R, DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL. Can you help

SANTOS7 15:57 29 Dec 05

click here
click here
all the onfo you need here,good luck.....

BurrWalnut 16:00 29 Dec 05

The 2 main types are - (hyphen) and + (plus). The earlier CD formats were R (write once) and RW (write many times). The hyphen was used to easily distinguish between CD-R and CD-RW.

An early DVD standard simply had the hyphen between the DVD and the R/RW as per the CD. About half of the major manufacturers signed-up to it. Those that didn’t sign-up, later created a different format and decided to call it plus, giving the impression that plus was superior to minus.

Most domestic DVD players will read hyphen and plus but RAM is a bit less favoured and will probably take the Betamax route.

If you want to copy and permanently preserve data use a DVD-R (or CD-R). If you use software like Nero you can update a DVD-R or CD-R with newer versions of your files. I only ever use RWs to try out new things so that I don’t waste the Rs.

The DL refers to dual-layer which doubles the size of the DVD but the blank discs are still expensive.

Granddad Ray 14:45 30 Dec 05

Thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now