DVD Recorders:Whats the min. spec of a PC to run?.

Fiery251 16:45 16 Feb 03

My friend has an AMD K6-400 running 98SE with 64Mb of RAM.

He is thinking of getting a DVD Burner to add to it.

Is his spec sufficient to run one without any problems?.

Also, the local PC shop is selling a 2xspeed DVD burner for £139.Is it wise to go for a 2xspeed instead of a 4xspeed?. It seems a pretty good price.

Lú-tzé 16:55 16 Feb 03

I would suggest at the very least getting a "burn proof" [i.e. with buffer underrun technology] and increasing the memory to about 256mb if possible.

I think that he may have problems on the current spec.

powerless 17:02 16 Feb 03

Look on the box for the min spec of the burner, that should tell you if you can use it in your machine.

Fudged 17:09 16 Feb 03

I thought that all DVD writers had 'burnproof' capability, as this technology was thrashed out ages ago with CD writers? If I'm right, then providing you create your projects on the hard drive first, then writing to the DVD shouldn't be an issue.

AMD 4 ever 17:21 16 Feb 03

He will have big probs if he installs on the same IDE Cable as the hdd.
I would look at up the RAM.

I personally think it might just be ok, but you cold at look at improving the system to help.

Fiery251 16:04 17 Feb 03

***Update!!!***

I got the PC wrong that he's going to install on.

It isnt the old K6, its a Celeron 733Mhz, with 384Mb of RAM.

Surely that should be sufficient?.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the capabilities of a 2xspeed burner versus a 4xspeed?.

Obviously, its quicker at writing, but just how quick?. How long does it take to burn a DVD?.
Also, is it possible to burn in the same manner as CDR's, as in "on the fly"?, from one DVD to a blank one?.

Thanx.

Lú-tzé 18:41 17 Feb 03

"is it possible to burn in the same manner as CDR's, as in "on the fly"?, from one DVD to a blank one?"

No, is the short answer, but I cannot remember why.

Have a look at click here - somewhere in the last few months he explained it all.

IanNiblock 15:31 18 Feb 03

Most commercial dvd's are copy protected, and most commercial software will refuse to copy them onto a blank disk.

I have a 2.4x writer connected via a firewire cable to a laptop (1.2ghz, 512Mb RAM) which takes just over an hour to burn a complete disk (ie 4.7 Gb)

Initially this drive was connected via a USB port - which added about 50% onto the burning time (not sure of the reason for this)

stlucia 15:50 18 Feb 03

I am running a Sony DVD burner as master on the secondary IDE cable with an 80Gb HDD as the slave, and no problem. If you do have a spare IDE cable, then by all means put the burner on that, but don't waste money on any other solution (extra IDE card) unless you do get problems.

My system is a 600Mhz Athlon with 256Mb RAM.

Fiery251 19:33 18 Feb 03

So whats actually involved in the process for copying a DVD?.

Is it similar to copying CD's?.

Do you have to get involved in ripping vob files and seperating sound from images,then piecing them back together again, or is there software available to allow this process to be simplified a bit more?.

Sorry for all the questions, but my DVD recorders are a big investment in terms of cash, and I'd like to advise my m8 to either buy one or not, on the strength of how easy it is to copy DVD's.

He's not very PC literate, and I'd hate to tell him to go ahead and get one, if things are going to be too complex for him....!!!!!!.

crx16 19:37 18 Feb 03

if the original DVD is less than 4.3GBclick here

if its larger than 4,3GBclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…