DVD Recorder under theTV

Pamy 21:15 30 Dec 04

Hello everyone,

Am still looking to buy an "under the TV DVD recorder", Have seen some that record to DVD-RAM.

A friend says that this is the same as ones that record to DVD-RW disks, "they are the same thing".Can anyone confirm this or is there a difference?

Also what is the advantage of a HDD as well?

Pamy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 30 Dec 04

Not the same see dvd formats explained click here.

record to hdd allows you to "pause live programs" and watch while recording.
you can then also delete it if no longer required or record onto a DVD disk to save for posterity

Peter 21:37 30 Dec 04

As I understand it recordable DVDs need to be prepared before they can be recorded too, which can take up to a couple of minutes and need to be finalised at the end of recording, which can take up to a minute. If you are trying to record a programme which will require changing DVD mid recording these times can add up and you will miss some of the programme, even if you use an advert break for the change of DVDs. If you record the whole lot to hard disk this problem does not occure and you can transfer, what you want to keep, to DVD later.

Peter.

Pamy 21:44 30 Dec 04

Friut Bat/\0/\,
thanks for info and link. It appears there is a difference in that the DVD-Ram is in a cartridge and is dedicated to to certain manufacturers where as DVD-RW is the same for all, so I think a DVD recorder that records to DVD-RW as well, is what I should look for

Pamy 21:50 30 Dec 04

Peter,

thanks for your info I had not realised this so will look into it before purchase

Peter 21:56 30 Dec 04

DVD-Ram disks act a bit like a hard disk and, I believe, allow you to view material already recorded while recoding is taking place. This facility may not be available on all recorders capable of recording to DVD-Ram so check if this is important to you.

Peter.

Pamy 22:01 30 Dec 04

thanks again Peter for info.

Pamy

TomJerry 23:50 30 Dec 04

DVD-Ram is a great format, but

very very very very few dvd player support it

Pamy 00:36 31 Dec 04

I am total confused now about DVD recorders.

I just want to record tv progs from terestial and Freeview digital like I do now with my failing VHS recorder.(watch one prog. while recording another). I would like to plug my digital camcorder into it and record my holidays etc. and give copies to friends so they could watch on their DVD players/recorders.I would also like to put the recorded disk TV/camcoder into another TV/DVD player upstairs to watch.(like giving it to a friend).
From what I have so far learned, I think I had better buy a VHS recorder before they are no more.

TomJerry 01:55 31 Dec 04

Home Dual Format LVW-5006B DVD Recorder Silver £160.92 click here

Julemand 03:57 31 Dec 04

Buy a recorder that records with DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW forget DVD Ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…