DVD Recorder shows 'No Disc' when disc inserted.

buckeye 23:33 20 Jun 06

DVD Recorder shows 'no disc' or 'bad disc' when discs are inserted..these are correct format discs and have played o.k. previously...even does it with brand new discs...any ideas????

woodchip 23:36 20 Jun 06

May be the drive. but could be the ribbon cable. make sure connectors are full on at each end

woodchip 23:38 20 Jun 06

You could also try uninstalling drive from Device Manager then Restart Comp for Windows to reset the drive

Woolwell 23:42 20 Jun 06

Try cleaning the lens?

Diversion 00:04 21 Jun 06

I had this problem with my Philips DVD Recorder, it turn out to be the wrong discs mine only recognised 4X recording speed and over. It showed no disc with 1X and 2X speed discs.

rodriguez 00:27 21 Jun 06

Is this a DVD recorder that plugs into the telly or a DVD RW drive in a PC? I also have a Philips DVD recorder and I get that message when I put in a - format disc as mine only takes + discs. Anyway I've used the same 10 pack of Imation DVD+RW discs in it, erasing whenever I've watched what I've taped or copied it to DVD-R, and it now works fine. Just remember that the format of the disc (+ or -) and the speed can depend on whether it works in a certain recorder or not.

buckeye 08:09 21 Jun 06

It's a DVD recorder that plugs into telly....the discs i am using are Philips DVD + RW 1 - 4X and have been using since xmas...now all i get is 'bad disc'..even with pre recorded dvd's..........

rodriguez 08:43 21 Jun 06

Does it take a long time for them to spin up before you get the "bad disc" error? I think it might be the laser has burnt out as this happens a lot in writers. Does it do the same when you put a pre recorded CD in? CD's use a wider beam so it may be different.

buckeye 10:03 21 Jun 06

Yes it takes a while to spin up. CD's dont work either.....however..after lying overnight it works o.k. for about five minutes, then zilch.

woodchip 10:09 21 Jun 06

It sound like it may be a power problem to the Laser, it should be stable supply

rodriguez 12:59 21 Jun 06

If you leave it overnight and it works for 5 mins, does the picture break up and freeze after the 5 mins?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…