DVD Re-writer not working

Paracaine 17:49 24 May 06

Hi, I am having a problem with my DVD-RW, I used to use it at least once every fortnight to back-up my documents onto a DVD-R but now it has stopped working.

It will still work as a CD-RW but it will not burn DVD's.

It will not copy DVD's and it will not burn files from the PC to DVD's.

I have tried using several different DVD-R's in both the - and + format with no luck and I have tried using Nero 6 and CD Burner XP Pro 3 and neither of them will do it.

I have updated both the Windows drivers and the DVD-RW's actual firmware but this still has not helped.

I have checked all of the physical connections inside the PC and I have tried switching it to Master and changing the IDE cables around etc. but none of this has worked.

It shows up in My Computer as - DVD-RAM Drive (D:) alongside DVD Drive (E:) although the DVD-Rom is in position 0 (Master) and the DVD-RW is in position 1 (Slave).

It is an LG GSA-4120B.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP2.

If you can help me that would be great.

Thanks, Ed.

The Old Mod 17:57 24 May 06

Hi, there are several lasers in the drive for the different formats, it sounds as if the DVD laser has died. If you have to fit a new one I would make it the master and your dvd rom the slave, DVD writers don't always like being the slave.

Paracaine 18:03 24 May 06

Ok, thanks.

Is it usual for a laser to die in a DVD-Writer?

It is only around 1 year old.

The Old Mod 18:13 24 May 06

I've had one die after about 18 months, I suppose it's down to how much it's used etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…