DVD RAM will not play in my DVD Player

Legolas 12:57 04 Aug 05

I have a DVD player that plays and records to DVD RAM disks. I recently purchased a DVD burner that burns to DVD RAM. The problem is that when I burn onto the DVD RAM disk and try to play it in My DVD player I get an 'unformat' error message on the DVD player and it will not play. Anyone have any ideas?

scotty 13:12 04 Aug 05

I presume that you formatted the DVD RAM disc before copying files to it?

Have you tried formatting a disc in the DVD player and then using that disc to copy your files then try playing in the DVD player?

SEASHANTY 15:28 04 Aug 05

See this posting in the AV Forums
click here

Quiet Life 17:35 04 Aug 05

I had an older LG burner which used B's Clip software. This burner failed and was replaced by a GSA 4163B which used Nero. A ram disc formatted under B's Clip either froze the computer or "No disc inserted" message.
It did not read in any DVD drive on another machine also using Nero.
I could not get a hold of a free copy of B's Clip software to clear the disc and could not find any other method to make this disc work.
Appreciate this does not help but it does seem the type of formatting plays a part asto whether the disc is playable or not.

Legolas 17:56 04 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies so far, scotty I will give that a try, seashanty good link, quiet life I want to play the DVD in my DVD player it plays ok in the Dvd drive.

SEASHANTY 19:50 04 Aug 05

It explains somewhere on the AV Forums (forget just where I saw this) that the format used by the PC on DVD-RAM discs is not the same as that used by the Panasonic DVD recorder. This is why it will not play in your home player. There is also a previous thread on this somewhere on PCA - and I cannot find that either. What a life eh! I have used the LG GSA 4163 with Roxio to drag over a 558MB folder of .tif photographs and just dropped them on a Panasonic DVD-RAM disc. Didn't format the disc for PC - they are already formatted by Panasonic when you get them. The data on the disc is listed as MEI_UDF. The data listed on a TV prog recorded on DVD-RAM from the Panasonic DVD recorder are listed as DVD_RTAV and they will not play on the LG 4163 in this format. The actual files on the latter are listed as VR_MANGR.B UP ;
VR_MANGR and VR_MOVIE.

SEASHANTY 15:31 05 Aug 05

This webpage gives info on VR files plus other useful info click here

SEASHANTY 15:40 05 Aug 05

Another link on VR mode recordings
click here

SEASHANTY 20:00 05 Aug 05

......another link to DVD-RAM with In CD.
click here
Maybe you can make some sense of all this information - it's way beyond me!

Legolas 20:41 05 Aug 05

Thanks for all the info SEASHANTY It will take some time to work it all out.

SEASHANTY 20:50 16 Aug 05

More info on the copy protection applied between the LG DVD writers and the Panasonic DVD recorders using the copy protected 3x DVD-RAM discs

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…