DVD RAM - Using Roxio Easy CD & DVD

dp21 14:34 03 Feb 04

I recently brought a laptop with a Mat*!@:a UJ-815 DVD RAM Drive which also reads all formats and writes to DVD-R & DVD-RW.

The problem I have is that I am not able to use DVD RAM media with this drive & software. I brought a pack of 5 Panasonic DVD RAM discs and I followed the instruction on formating from the Roxio Software but now all of the disc are not working either they can not been seen by the system "please insert disc" when there is one in the drive or "write error" when trying to copy.

At first I thought it must be a faulty drive so I had it changed by the company that supplied the laptop but I still can not get it to work.

I have managed to use DVD-R and DVD-RW media successfully. Has anyone come across this problem and how did you resolve it?

Roxio site recommend by dvd drive but they say the DVD ram media is only supported by their drag to disc software.

tafoody 14:38 03 Feb 04

i only use DVD-RAM as another HDD and drag and drop within explorer (not with in-cd), unlike the -R/RW side of things, the RAM needs its own driver installed. click here

dp21 15:44 03 Feb 04

I already installed the new drivers but my problem is that the disc are not seen my the DVDform program.

Are these disc no good now?

I tried erasing them and formatting them but I can not get any joy.

SEASHANTY 16:12 03 Feb 04

Is your drive same as the LG DVD Drive? i.e. It needs the disks removing from any caddy before insertion into the drive?

tafoody 16:13 03 Feb 04

are the discs housed in a cartridge?

my drive is different to yours (mine is RAM only) but to use a 'unhoused' disc i would have to enable 'non-cartridge disc writing tool' within DVD-RAM driver\RAMdiscTool.

i still dont see how roxio fits in to the equation, i only use the tools within the DVD-RAM driver, nero/roxio have little or no use (with my drive).

SEASHANTY 16:19 03 Feb 04

Using DVD-RAM discs. Manual in .pdf form from the
Panasonic Website -
click here

scotty 16:32 03 Feb 04

My first attempts to use DVD-RAM were before I RTFM (well actually, it came without a manual) and I tried to use them like DVD-RW. I had a similar experience to you in that that they were no longer recognised. Of the two discs, I managed to rescue one by using the erase option but the other now supports a cup of coffee.

With the LG4040 drive you use a small program called DVDForm to format the disc, then you just treat it like an extra large floppy!

dp21 15:40 04 Feb 04

My problem seems to be I tried to use them like DVD-RW but this was before I was able to use the DVDform program.

Thanks for suggestions - I just have to write of these discs and not use Roxio with DVD RAM again.

SEASHANTY 16:10 04 Feb 04

That Panasonic Manual in .pdf format contains a lot of info on DVD-RAM. It's only eleven pages and well worth printing out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…