DVD RAM drive internal (IDE) - where to buy?

Spook Tooth (Exiled-Gamers.co.uk) 01:41 01 Mar 05

Just can't find anywhere selling internal DVD RAM drives.

I'd like to upgrade a neighbours current Mat*!@:a (Panasonic) LF310 drive that no longer works as it should.

This old drive is compatible with caddies and it would be almost essential that any new RAM drive have this feature.

If anyone knows where I can get hold of one, I'd be grateful for the link even if it's an external model and not internal {IDE/ATA) as requested. Thanks.

(Why RAM and not -RW etc?: better suited for archival purposes - the user will also have use of DVD-R etc facilities.)

AndySD 04:18 01 Mar 05

Nope I cant find one either.

A solution may be to fit something like the LG click here and copy the caddy dissks over to non caddy disks. If the drive doest work at all try getting one from ebay there are 2 rhere at the moment under £10

Catastrophe 08:34 01 Mar 05

Just search eBay with DVD-RAM

I have bought 3 there.

click here

Thanks for the link, AndySD, as it was from that I found the drive I mention.

Ebay does look good for selection of RAM-Write compaitable drives (non caddy type), so it's up to my neighbour if she wishes to save a bit of money and go for one of these over the caddy type she's used to.

Ta. It took several hours of searching to get a result so I hope she's happy.

SEASHANTY 15:59 01 Mar 05

Microdirect have the LG GSA 4163 which supports DVD-RAM price around £35 plus vat. Ebuyer have an
external LG drive GSA 5120D price around £85 plus vat. Many websites do not list DVD-RAM support for these LG drives (microdirect being one in point) but they do support the non caddy ram discs which are the most popular type on sale these days.
click here

click here

SEASHANTY 16:02 01 Mar 05

You will have to remove any discs from the caddies as the new LG drives DO NOT work with DVD-RAM discs in caddies.

SEASHANTY 16:07 01 Mar 05

.....and for the advantages of DVD-RAM see this webpage click here

Thanks Mr SeaShanty!

:D

Ceemar 16:51 01 Mar 05

I've got an LG, it's just the job. Shop around! I got mine (retail version)cheaper than my son payed for his OEM version on eBay.

SEASHANTY 19:23 01 Mar 05

Please let us know where you purchased the retail version cheaper than the OEM. Don't post and leave us in suspense! Give a link.

Technotiger 19:50 01 Mar 05

If anyone is interested, I bought my LG 4163B (retail) for £55 incl vat and with the following software Nero Express, Nero BackitUp, InCD, Power DVD and PowerProducer Gold all included. From
Pcideals in Portsmouth.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…