DVD Ram Discs

concretepigsy 12:26 17 Jul 05

I have a DVD ram drive in my laptop. I havent realised the potential of the drive yet. what are the benefits of this drive and are dvd ram discs rewritable.

Thanks

Chris

I would try and explain this confusing DVD Media business myself but, to be honest, I'm never that sure! So go here: click here
T. P.S. If you need any more help, just search google for DVD RAM or similar.

SEASHANTY 13:38 17 Jul 05

Yes they are rewriteable - up to 100,000 times and also without reformatting. Just delete over and over again. Very comprehensive info on DVD-RAM is available on this website
click here

SEASHANTY 13:41 17 Jul 05

Interestingly - the September 2005 issue of PCA has a feature on DVD writers and the recommended No. 1 is the LG GSA 4163B which just happens to be truly multi-format with both reading and recording to DVD-RAM. It is also one of the cheapest DVD writers available.

pj123 14:29 17 Jul 05

I have had the LG 4163B in both my PCs for a while now, can't fault it. I haven't tried RAM or Dual Layers discs yet only -r and +r, mainly because I am not sure what the difference between RW and RAM discs is. Perhaps someone can tell me? (please excuse the butt-in, concretepigsy).

pj123 14:34 17 Jul 05

Sorry, I should have read the links before using my fingers. All clear now.

SEASHANTY 14:29 20 Jul 05

Some more info on DVD-RAM on this website
click here

Kase 21:37 26 Jul 05

concretepigsy

Following the article in PCA September 2005 I
have purchased an LG4163B Multi Drive (and taken out an NEC plus only Drive) but can anyone advise the best discs for recording to DVD Ram in quality and price?.

SEASHANTY 16:57 27 Jul 05

DVD-RAM discs don't have the same variation in quality as the DVD recordable discs. The best quality are probably Panasonic available at Argos shops at around £12 for a pack of five. They have some cheaper RAM discs at SVP - not Panasonic but probably just as good priced £15 for a spindle of ten discs. click here
Note that if you purchase the 9.4GB double sided RAM discs in the caddies you will have to remove the caddy to fit them in the LG drive. Only the Panasonic Home DVD recorders will accept these caddied discs.

hssutton 18:38 27 Jul 05

I've been using Maxwell DVD-Ram for well over twelve months, these have worked perfectly on my LG writers

SEASHANTY 20:29 27 Jul 05

Yeah I purchased some Memorex ones in DVD cases from Ebuyer (£7 for a five pack.) I haven't any Maxell but I think that with DVD-RAM they all work perfectly well no matter what the make. Go for the cheapest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…