DVD RAM? 9.4 GB.

Mr_Nice_Guy 17:15 29 Nov 03

Hi a quick question regarding blank dvds. i have tried to look for dvds larger than 4.7 gb, and have only found ones labelled dvd ram 9.4gb, which i suppose is rewritable media and it also says it is double sided. what does this mean? can i record on both sides of the disk?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:19 29 Nov 03

Yes, they can be recorded on each side...so people will be able to fit two films on them ;-))

Jester2K II 18:14 29 Nov 03

You probably know this anyway but all commercial DVDs (except early ones like Goodfellas which have to be flipped over halfway through) are dual layer. So really you can only get one film on a double sided disk as you need each side to take a single layer.... So i understand...

Jester2K II 18:15 29 Nov 03
  Mr_Nice_Guy 18:30 29 Nov 03

i was thinking of creating backups of my dvd collection, and one was larger than 4.7, so im not sure how this would work. thanks all for your advice.

Mr_Nice_Guy 18:37 29 Nov 03

hi again, i was wondering if there were any
DVD-R 9.4 GB disks that exist? as my drive doesnt support RAM i dont think. and if so are they single or double sided? where can i c=get them. thanks.

Jester2K II 18:40 29 Nov 03

DVD-R (Digital Versatile Disc - Recordable)
A disc that is equivalent to the DVD-ROM but it can also be recorded to. The Pioneer DVR-A05U drive can record on 4.7GB single-sided and 9.4GB double-sided DVD-R discs. DVD-R discs can be accessed in set top DVD players and computers equipped with DVD-ROM drives. These discs can only be written to once by the user. There are two types of DVD-R drives and media. DVD-R for Authoring is supported by the DVR-S201 and is appropriate for someone who wants to create a disc that can be used as a master at a duplication house. This is called the Cutting Master Format (aka CMF). It supports setting region codes and using copy protection. DVD-R for General is supported by the DVR-A05U and is appropriate for someone who only wants to create a few copies of a disc and doesn't need to send the disc to a duplication house or set region codes. The correct media must be used with the appropriate drive (i.e. DVD-R for Authoring discs with a DVD-R for Authoring compatible drive).

Mr_Nice_Guy 18:42 29 Nov 03

i read the page on your link, but it does not seem to help much. thanks for help.

Jester2K II 18:46 29 Nov 03

Sorry - yes you can get 9.4GB double-sided DVD-R discs

I can't find any...

Mr_Nice_Guy 18:49 29 Nov 03

lol, same here. looked everywhere.

Kudu 18:52 29 Nov 03

DVD-9 disks have 2 layers on one side and you get your dvd movies on these.

DVD-10 disks have 1 layer on two sides and they seem to sell dvd-r for normal recording.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…