DVD-R write problem

sschsu 12:26 28 Jan 04

My NEC MultiSpin DVD Writer ND-1300A can't write to DVD-R disk (Datawrite), no problem with DVD+R or DVD+RW disk. When using Nero 6, got "burn process failed at 2X". When using InterVideo DVD Copy, though the burning process was completed, nothing was written to the DVD.

Any suggestion?

stlucia 12:43 28 Jan 04

I note that the spec sheet gives slightly slower speed for DVD-R compared with DVD+R. Have you tried manually limiting the burn speed in Nero to, say, 1 or 1.5x to see what happens?

georgemac 13:24 28 Jan 04

maybe it did not like the media click here and see if you can see the disk you are using, and see if they recommend it for your writer

sschsu 13:37 28 Jan 04

Got the same error when the speed was set to 1.
Error messages: Illegal disc, Could not perform start of Disc-at-once, Burn process failed at 1x.

Hyperangelic 14:09 28 Jan 04

My ND-1300s have no problems with DVD-R. The compatibiity sheet does not list Datawrite. It could be a comp problem - what firmware is your drive on? The 1.08 firmware is supposed to increase compatibility with some media.

I'd try a better disc first before the firmware, just to check it is a comp issue.

sschsu 14:34 28 Jan 04

The firmware on my driveis 1.05. I was told by NEC the latest firmware is 1.0A. What DVD-R do you use? Thanks.

Hyperangelic 15:02 28 Jan 04

Sorry that took so long. I was searching (fruitlessly) for our engineer as I have acquired most of my DVD-Rs from the spindles under his desk...(ahem)

My burners are both on 1.08 and I have successfully used Verbatim discs and unnamed discs - (from those tempting spindles!) They are probably Ritek or Ricoh but until he gets here I'm not certain...

arricarry 15:08 28 Jan 04

Be careful. If you have an OEM ND1300 drive the NEC firmware 1.06,1.08,etc will render the drive useless. The above is for retail drives only and there is a warning on the NEC upgrades. There is a list of approved disc types at NEC, these drives are a bit picky and may not write on cheaper discs. Verbatim discs work very well and the DVD-R pastel shades slimline case are the type I use. Available at CD-RMedia.co.uk about£7
for 5 delivered, usually within 48 hrs

sschsu 09:29 29 Jan 04

I bought the ND-1300A at a PC fair before Christmas, it came in a box with wraping, software and 2 Verbatim disks (DVD+R and DVD+RW). I guess this is a retail drive not a OEM drive. YES?

I tried using the DVD-R because it will accept by most DVD player (from click here). I am new to use DVD writer, so when I bought the 25 Datawritre DVD-R disks in a spindle, did not consider the compatibility problem, only read the review about the disk from other users at ebuyer.com.

Hyperangelic 09:54 29 Jan 04

As it happens neither of my drives are NEC branded. They are both rebadged under different names. The firmware was not taken from a firmware site or NEC but from the brands' sites.

Arricarry is right on being careful however. It might be worth talking to NEC support to see what they recommend...

Brian-336451 10:23 29 Jan 04

Do you have to use DVD-Rs?

Why not use +Rs and the problem's solved?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…