DVD-R verses DVD+R

Swampy 06:31 09 Jan 04

I'm soon to take the plunge into DVD, both on the PC and a home recordable. Can anyone please tell me why blank DVD-R's are cheaper than DVD+R's? Which should I go for and why? Thanks for any help.
Swampy

QQAA 07:27 09 Jan 04

is being touched by you now, I think. In order to increase sales in this diffficult world economic climate, various introduced the so-called multi-format DVD rewriters to ease the worries of potential buyers. Their argument of asking conumers to go ahead to replace CD rewriter with a DVD rewriter is that in the event of either camp --- DVD-R (Pioneer, Panasonic, etc) and DVD+R (Philips, SONY, HP, Dell, etc) --- winning the format war, your investment would still be protected.

But how about those blank DVD-R and DVD+R discs that consumers have decided upon to use along the way? They would be in a predicament if they have chosen to use the DVD-R (or DVD-RW) media but (for instance) in the end it is the DVD+R format that is adopted by the industry as a final standard.

Looking at the history, I tend to feel an 'injustice' toward the CD rewriters. It took sooooo long for this useful product to replace CD-ROM drive to become a standard peripheral in desktop and notebook PCs while CD-ROM drive makers continue to work with the system builders to exploit every remaining drops of profit juice from the CD-ROM drives.

If not because of the poor world economy during the last 3 years, I doubt if the DVD rewriters would be so fast and so strongly pushed by PC system makers in its present 'half-cooked' status.

temp003 09:55 09 Jan 04

I guess both formats are here to stay for a while. If you're going to make videos, the important thing is to make sure your home dvd player can play the relevant format. But since you're at the same time getting a home dvd recorder (wow - that's pricey), and most new home players can play both formats now, that's not really an issue.

For the PC, I would get a dual format dvd writer. For the home dvd recorder, I would suggest a DVD+ because editing on DVD+ is more flexible and convenient.

BigMoFoT 11:59 09 Jan 04

Yeah but what is the difference between the two formats? Is one better for video while one may be better for data?

SEASHANTY 15:03 09 Jan 04

Lots of info on this USA website. DVD Recorders Guide. click here

Bris 19:00 09 Jan 04

DVD+R seems to be better quality than DVD-R although predictably the media is more expensive. Its the old Betamax/VHS contest all over again where VHS although the weaker of the two became the standard because it was cheaper. The fact that Microsoft has come down on the side of DVD+R may tip the balance.

tafoody 19:44 09 Jan 04

don't forget about DVD-RAM, i think this format is one of the best for home recording, with the drawback being the price of media and their compatabilty,

A Cat Called George 19:56 09 Jan 04

For what it's worth dvd+ seems to have the heavier-wheight backing within the industry and so might have the better future.

SEASHANTY 21:57 09 Jan 04

But DVD+ is not recognised by the DVD Forum and not all DVD+ discs will play on domestic DVD players whereas most if not all DVD- discs will.

Swampy 06:31 10 Jan 04

I appreciate all the comments. It sounds as if this is going to me the usual nightmare! I was caught by Video 2000 years ago - anyone remember that? It was a good system with near perfect still frame etc, but lost out to an inferior format. I dismissed DVD-RAM as being an 'odd-ball', and expensive. Any more views welcomed.

Swampy 06:53 10 Jan 04

If I'm to use the recorder to replace our existing VHS machine, then it looks like the format needs to be DVD+R/RW, even though the media is more expensive. After reading the info on the suggested site (thanks Seashanty), this is why... If I record say a half hour programme onto DVD-RW I must watch it before I can record anything else, as that recording must be erased prior to re-recording onto that disk. It also has to be manually finalised if I want to watch it on another machine. No such problems with DVD+R/RW - or have I misunderstood?
My brain hurts!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…