DVD-R problems in Nero - crashes 'checking disc'

Murray 23:42 06 Mar 05

hiya,

I've just taken the plunge into the world of recordable DVD's. After a recommendation I've gone for the "NEC DVD-RW ND 3250A".

I've got a full version of nero 6 and have noticed a new option in the 'create new compilation' dialog - to choose DVD or CD.

I tried to burn a DVD with the same options as a normal CD, joliet, etc, but when i press BURN, it crashes during the "checking discs" stage. After 5mins, task manager says it has stopped responding. I'm only backing up a few (albeit large) files on a local drive, so it shouldnt have to cache them first.

I'm using Datawrite grey top 8X 4.7GB DVD-R, and have tried two discs. Nero detects a DVD-R in the drive and correctly tells me the size of the disc.

I've managed to burn a CDR on it without hassle, so the drive is working (mostly)

any ideas?

maz2 23:53 06 Mar 05

Don't know if this is any good to you but it's a tutorial for Nero it's the eastiest I've seen so far even I can use it
click here

THE TERMINATOR 00:45 07 Mar 05

As it is new, I would take the drive back, it may be naffed. It does happen....TT

Murray 17:26 07 Mar 05

i think thats more for backing up DVD's. I just want to make a regular DVD ISO - for data.

I'm starting to think it may well be the drive, as it crashes almost instantly - as soon as I click burn. Odd how it writes CD without problems tho.

g0nvs 18:05 07 Mar 05

Try different media, for me Datawrite were more trouble than they were worth.

Murray 20:29 07 Mar 05

I dont think it's the media - A friend has the same drive working with the same DVD's - ordered at the same time.

I'll try his drive in my machine...

jack 20:40 07 Mar 05

See earlier string- Zero for Nero #1
Slightly different problem
but reponses elicted loads of -Tools and stuff.

woodchip 20:50 07 Mar 05

Try this it's free and may do what you want. it does for me. and I have NERO 6 click here

Murray 21:17 07 Mar 05

cheers Woodchip - just checking out that link

I tried my drive in a friends PC and it worked fine, he's got win 2000 and I'm using win XP

so it must be some software problem on my PC.

ashdav 01:01 08 Mar 05

I've got exactly the same problem. Using Nero 6 to burn DVD rom disc to transfer files to a new pc I've built. Everything is ok until Nero gets 12mins into a 18mins session then freezes with a burn error. only seems to occur when doing DVD rom. DVD videos are ok. I think it might have something to do with computer resources ie. RAM settings, writing speed etc. Haven't got an answer at the moment but I'm working on it. I'll post back when I've got any news.

Murray 17:30 09 Mar 05

after woodchip...

I've now used CDBurner Pro XP for two data DVD's (like a normal data CD) and it worked like a dream. well almost. Nero successfully detected my drive could burn my discs at 8x, but CDburner only works at 4x - even if I force it to 8

cheers woodchip... so it is definitely a problem with nero... I might go and buy EasyCD creator or the DVD equivalent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac