Dvd-r or Dvd+r

domo 21:26 09 Feb 03

I am thinking of investing in a Ricoh mp125a-dp Dvd+r dvd+r writer but a the local fair i noticed all the dvd blanks where mostly dvd-r,can i use both dvd-r and dvd+r.

€dstow 06:46 10 Feb 03

This seems an obscure model.

The current favourite is the Sony DRU-500A which is decribed as writing all the popular DVD formats and doesn't cost more than a less versatile machine.

€d

stlucia 09:08 10 Feb 03

DVD+R and DVD-R are not interchangeable. But some machines like the Sony which £dstow mentions can record and play both.

If you plan to view your recorded DVDs on your television, you need to check what standard(s) your domestic DVD player can read. I think the majority can handle DVD-R.

Jamesy 11:30 10 Feb 03

Problem is, with the Sony multi-format drive I believe it's the only multi-standard one currently available and hence you will be placed on a long waiting list for it. There's an NEC one in the pipeline too but I don't think it's out yet.

Stuartli 12:27 10 Feb 03

The - disks are a fraction of the price of the + versions....

€dstow 13:27 10 Feb 03

There are several in the pipeline, Panasonic have been introducing one since last summer!! Don't know where it is though.;-)

I don't know why there should be such a waiting list. I passing through the USA late last year, went into a computer store in Miami and bought five of them $250 each. There wasn't any shortage there - or was I just lucky? Don't think so.

(They've all got good homes so I don't have any spares).

€d

Stuartli 16:08 10 Feb 03

click here has just sent its weekly e-mail with the following note:

"We have managed to secure some hard to find SONY DW-U10A X4 DVD-R and DVD+R Writers.. with free delivery on the first 100 orders"

if anyone is interested.

Patr100 18:13 10 Feb 03

Isn't the Ricoh mp125a (or similar) a March PCW magazine Best buy/recommended? perhaps that is why you have gone for it.

crx16 18:29 10 Feb 03

panasonic drive is dvd-ram and dvd-r/rw,there will be no dvd+r/rw as it is not supported by dvd forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…