DVD - R, DVD - RW, DVD + R, DVD + RW

wednesday 13 19:56 25 Dec 05

I'm usually up to date on this stuff but to me, they all just seem too similar.

As far as I understand:

DVD-R = record one thing and that's it

DVD-RW = record one thing that you can delete off

DVD+R = same as DVD-R

DVD+RW = same as DVD-RW or you can record as much as you want and delete off

Is this correct or am I wrong?

bremner 20:14 25 Dec 05

You are nearly correct.

-RW and +RW have the same functionality - you can write as much as you want, then erase and write again.

wednesday 13 20:20 25 Dec 05

I was just confused as nothing explained it clearly

Diemmess 18:18 26 Dec 05

If using DVD R for data you can keep adding files until you run out of space.

Some prefer this to RW because the recording tends to be more reliable over time, and of course the disks are cheaper.

ade.h 18:27 26 Dec 05

If you are using RWs on a regular basis, get a copy of Sonic DLA (Drive Letter Assignment). It formats the disc in standard UDF (Universal Data Format) but assigns a drive letter and volume name like a hard-disk partition. This kind of fools Win XP into treating the RW as a hard-disk partition - you can drag & drop, delete single files or folders, and so on. Once DLA has been used, I have been able to use +RWs in two different DVD-RAM drives without any additional software. It means no temp folders either, as the files just go straight to disc, unlike Win XP's CD-RW handling.

ade.h 18:30 26 Dec 05

If you don't use DLA, you'll need Nero or similar to handle the writing on behalf of Win XP. And you won't be able to use the disc on a PC that does not have any third-party software like Nero, unless Nero now has a DLA equivalent of course, but I don't think it does.

Monoux 18:35 30 Dec 05

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…