//some 3rd party need geo

DVD-R discs: (which is best + or - )

anchor 14:51 29 Apr 05

My new PC has a DVD writer (Sony DW-D22A).

As this is my first DVD writer I would like to know which format members consider best to use, DVD+R, or, DVD-R.

fazer 15:26 29 Apr 05

It's all down to compatability - not so much with your computer but with normal domestic DVD players.

In my case, I have to use DVD-R; and none other.

ACOLYTE 15:37 29 Apr 05

As said it depends what you writer can read,some can read/write both types others cannot it seems after a quick google that yours can read/write the + type.

anchor 16:24 29 Apr 05

This Sony seems to support a wide selection of formats.

Supported formats:

DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R (3.9Gb/4.7Gb), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, CD-RW

Just curious to know if one DVD type is better than the other.

Pooke100 16:30 29 Apr 05

It's all down to opinion, -R seems to present no problems with our players/recorders. One particular brand I like is Infiniti.

HTH

j3nks 16:35 29 Apr 05

Dual layer hold nearly twice as much as standard DVD but cost 5+ times more (well last time I looked)
DVD-RW or +RW are rewritable much the same as CD-RW
DVD-R are generaly more compatable with domestic (ie linked to TV) players than most others.

woodchip 16:45 29 Apr 05

You need to know what the DVDRW will support first, It's not what's best but the above what counts if it's only + then - will not work in the drive to write to. It’s nothing to do with reading a disc it's all about writing one. That the proper disc’s for the drive count.

blanco 17:12 29 Apr 05

If you want to explore in more detail, a good site to look at is click here which will give you users comments on pretty well all makes of disc and the extent of the compatibility.

SEASHANTY 17:13 29 Apr 05

Lots of Information (and links) on DVD
click here

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 17:18 29 Apr 05

I have just brought 50 samsung pleomax DVD-R x8 from staples at £16.99 every one I have used so far about 7 have burnt in nero faultless I am very impressed going to buy another 100 an saterday .

anchor 08:52 30 Apr 05

Many thanks all for you advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…