DVD-R discs

bruno 20:11 14 Oct 06

I have a DVD writer on my newish PC.I have never had cause to use it for burning DVD's yet.Last week I tried to back up my photo collection to it but it said it was unable to do it.I tried to do it on my mates PC today and got the same response.Am I missing something here?Do they have to be formatted or something?It plays DVD's ok and I have had plenty experiwnce burning CD's.

GEEKSTA 20:23 14 Oct 06

have you tried snopping around properties under the cd drive?

GEEKSTA 20:23 14 Oct 06

sorry bad spelling . ***snooping

kindly 20:26 14 Oct 06

You will have to check to see if your computer is capable of burning DVD-r,DVD+r, DVDRW. You would only format a re writable disc. Any other will be made useless. I know cos I did it myself. That learning curve you know.

rdave13 20:35 14 Oct 06

I use ashampoo burning studio 6 and a lot of forum members advize using Nero. Do you have similar software? Sometimes you get "coasters" in new packs of disks. So try another.

bruno 20:44 14 Oct 06

I was just using the Send To menu like I do with CD's.I do have Nero,but I must admit that I did not think I needed anything else.I was backing up prior to reinstalling XP as my PC was throwing a wobbler.I will explore using Nero tomorrow and see if it works any better.My PC should be up to it as it is quite high spec and only a few months old.
kindly
I thought that you only formatted the rewritable discs,that is why I asked for advice.I have a dual burner which accepts both types of disc.
Thanks for your help.I will post back the results when I find the answer.

bruno 20:49 14 Oct 06

Just checked.It takesDVD-rom discs.

rdave13 20:50 14 Oct 06

Your problems are solved. Just use Nero.
By the way I've never had the need to format a rewritable disk.

BRYNIT 23:35 14 Oct 06

The Windows writing program will only write to CD disks it will not write to DVD disks. Using Nero will allow you to write to DVD but make sure you have selected DVD in the drop down menu.

bruno 07:38 15 Oct 06

Thanks for that information.That explains why it did not work on either of the two machines I tried it on.

bruno 18:27 15 Oct 06

I managed to do my back up with Nero.Thank you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5