DVD -R disc but +r writer

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:37 17 Dec 05

I am trying to put a home made (wedding) video onto my PC.

I have a panasonic DMRE30 DVD recorder with which I have burned my video to a DVD-r.

My PC only has +r, is there anyway I can get the PC to read the disc, I thought that once a DVD was burnt the +/- was irrelevant. At least, DVD-Video bunrt to +r on my PC can be read on my DVD recorder.

Any ideas?

pj123 17:46 17 Dec 05

Give us the spec of your computer and the DVD drives that you have?

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:59 17 Dec 05

PC is a AMD64 3200+ 1GB RAM running XP pro.

It has a HP DVD Writer 300c and a Samsung DVDROM SD-616E both of which "realise" that I have inserted a disc but when I open the drive it is empty.

Any more info you need, let me know

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:03 17 Dec 05

I just tried again and the ROM drive, with the disc in, says "please insert disk into drive" but the writer actually allows me to double click to open it but doesn't have any icons etc.

pauldonovan 18:45 17 Dec 05

you can often 'hack' your drive to support other disc format. Some manufacturers don't want to pay the licence costs for both +R and -R format so they ask the manufacturers to simply disable one of them in the software / firmware. You then patch it to be enabled again. Probably illegal or ill advised but I thought i'd contribute it to the discussion. Might be better just to buy a suitable drive.

jimv7 18:48 17 Dec 05

you have to 'finalise' or make the disk readable in the dvd recorder 1st, then your dvd rom will read it.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:11 17 Dec 05

There is no menu option to finalise the DVD, looks like I'll have to do it the long way around via the Tivo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…