DVD-R 8X or DVD-R 16X what is the differarance ?

rosie12 17:05 08 Feb 06

Hi, I assume that 8x or 16x must mean that when you write to an empty dvd or cd the 16x does it faster, is this true or does it also depend on which burning program you have...? and if it is correct does it really make that much differance....Thanks

GuZ><0r 17:10 08 Feb 06

The 8x and 16x does mean how fast the drive can write to DVD's. But it is also dependent on how fast the discs are, for example, having a DVD-RW may only have a write speed of 4x, which means the drive will only write to the disc at this speed. But it can go up to 16x if the drive is that speed.

SG Atlantis® 17:15 08 Feb 06

16x speed is double that of 8x speed. As has been stated it depends on the disks, the drive may be a 16x but if you insert a 4x disk, that's the speed it will burn at.

click here

zarobian 17:18 08 Feb 06

dvd burning speeds are defind as under:
1x =1385 KB/S
8x =11080 KB/S
16x =22160 KB/S

cd speeds are as under:
1x=150KB/S and so on.

Z

SG Atlantis® 17:21 08 Feb 06

Even though I have two 16x dvd writer drives that I always burn at 4x even though I have 8x and 16x speed disks - less chance of errors.

The extra time it takes isn't really an issue.

rosie12 17:23 08 Feb 06

Hi, Thanks for your answers, where do I look on my comp. to find out how fast my drive can go?...Thanks

Stuartli 17:27 08 Feb 06

What is the make and model of the drive?

rosie12 17:32 08 Feb 06

Hi, Maybe I should take SGs advise and burn at 4x I didnlt realise that tis would/could make a differance, I have often burned CDs or DVDs and then the copy wouldn't work for some reason, maybe I need to burn at a slower speed?....Also I am looking online at the moment at the prices of DVDs and CDs, I know that you get what you pay for but is there really a vast differance in quality, meaning that if you buy very cheap then the copy wont play maybe?, whereas if you pay more then it is more likely to work properly?....Thanks

zarobian 17:35 08 Feb 06

If you have Nero burning software then go to start->All programs->Nero->Tool kits and select drive info.The rest is obvious.

zarobian 17:39 08 Feb 06

If you have Nero burning software then go to start->All programs->Nero->Tool kits and select drive info.The rest is obvious.

rosie12 17:42 08 Feb 06

Thanks Zar, it is telling me that its 48x but do you think that I should still take SGs advice and burn at 4x to make the disk more reliable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…