DVD Problems - Need IDE Disk Drive

Border View 14:29 05 Jan 04

I have an Athlon AMD 800 mhz 128 SD Ram 30Gh HDD (only used 33 per cent) a Samsung CD-RW/DVD combi.

The DVD player, running Power DVD, either wont run a DVD or if it does it stutters. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Power DVD and after running a diagnostic I get the following message:

Your motherboard is using an Ali, SiS or VIA series of chipset. We strongly recommend that you install the IDE or bus master driver that comes with your motherboard and enable the DMA mode for accessing your DVD-ROM. Not enabling DMA mode or using an improper IDE driver might either degrade the performance of Power DVD or even prevent Power DVD from properly executing.

My motherboard is in fact an MS-6195. I went into control panel then system then hard disk drives and it told me that I had a floppy drive and a hard drive. Looking at the properties for the hard drive there was no mention of an IDE Disk Drive.

I take it that I need to install the IDE Disk Drive so that I can then go into its settings and enable the DMA in there. I’ve looked through all the CDs that came with my computer (almost four years ago) but cant find a one that makes any reference to the motherboard.

Can anyone please suggest what my next step could be. Oh I’ve already reinstalled Windows 98SE over the top of the old system. That was yesterday’s task.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Jester2K 14:32 05 Jan 04

Do you have a CD that came with the PC / mobo that has the Mobo drivers on it?

It sounds like you need to install the IDE DRIVERS (Not drive) again.

Jester2K 14:34 05 Jan 04

Sorry read the post again... No CD!!!

Ok I think the inf driver is what you are after click here

Jester2K 14:36 05 Jan 04

Hmmm - APM Driver and USB driver... Someone else might know more about this..

Border View 14:41 05 Jan 04

What's APM Driver and USB Driver about please?

Jester2K 14:49 05 Jan 04

APM = Advnaced Prower Management

USB = Universal Serial Bus

These are drivers that need to installed to support those features.

I can't find an IDE or BusMaster driver for that motherboard. This is what the program is asking you to install....

BigMoFoT 14:56 05 Jan 04

I would install the chipset drivers from Jesters link:- Those of you who have VIA chipsets for example would install the 4 in 1 chipset drivers, essentially this would be the same thing - I think so anyway!!

Jester2K 15:00 05 Jan 04

The "AMD 751 Chipset AGP Driver" one?? click here

MS-6167, MS-6191 & K7 Pro (MS-6195) motherboard

AMD 751 chipset AGP driver ver. 4.50 for Win9x & Win2000

Border View 15:14 05 Jan 04

I've been away looking at Hard Disk Controllers in Device Manager and extracted the following information, if its any help:

there appears to be three:-

AMD-756 Bus Master IDE Controller V1.24RC

Driver files:

C:\WINDOWS\system\vmm32.VXD (Configmg.vxd)
C:\WINDOWS\system|IOSUBSYS\AMDEIDE.MPD

Provider – Not available
File Version: Not available
Copyright: Not available

PRIMARY BUS MASTER IDE CONTROLLER

Driver files

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\amdeida.mpd
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\IOS.vxd

Provider: AMD
File Version 1.24RC
Copyright: © AMD

SECONDARY BUS MASTER IDE CONTROLLER

Driver files

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\amdeida.mpd
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\IOS.vxd

Provider: AMD
File Version 1.24RC
Copyright: © AMD

BigMoFoT 15:21 05 Jan 04

Jester - yeah that one

PA28 15:24 05 Jan 04

You should have these drivers installed already - if not, then I would install them, although it would be worth visiting the AMD website to see if there are any later versions available for download.

My experience of reinstalling Windows 98 over itself is not a happy one. Although it may sound extreme, I would be tempted to back up all my data and start again from a freshly formatted disk. You will need to reinstall all your applications again (and your motherboard drivers!). You may be surprised at how much faster and more stable your system is afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…