DVD Problems

goll_y 15:48 29 May 03

Got a problem with my computer (Windows 2000 Professional: VT8363). When playing WINDVD the screen seems to jump between frames and also the screen freezes after a period of time (it seems to vary) and then I get a buzzing sound with a still screen which means I need to restart the computer all over.

I've got Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNOW, ~1.0GHz.
Also 256 MB RAM
I've got NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 / Model 64 Pro, DirectX 9.0 and have WINDVD 4.0.
Screen saver is off, 800x600 pixels.

Please help. I want to get this sorted and am not sure how. It used to work fine!

Thanks.

PS I'm a newbie so don't make it too difficult to understand!

goll_y 15:50 29 May 03

someone suggested that the buzzing sound might be to do with a stalled CPU fan?? Would this cause the problem and if so how do I check it?

Philip2 17:16 29 May 03

Did you have this problem with Direct X 8.1??
you seem to have an old graphic card Direct X 9

-pops- 18:15 29 May 03

256MB RAM is not a lot. What other programs do you have running? It may help if you close as many programs as you can, without compromising the operation of Windows and WinDVD

The Sack 19:02 29 May 03

Philip2

The TNT was a DX6 card so if it was DX related going back to DX8.1 wouldnt make any difference.

Playing a DVD is fairly instensive stuff for a 400MHz CPU but it should be a breeze for a 1GHz CPU. I just booted winDVD and it only uses 11MB of RAM. When was the last time you defragged etc?

goll_y 18:29 30 May 03

defraged recently but still no help. You wouldn't realise how much I want to get this sorted!

Do you think its related to the jumping frames problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…