DVD problem

ricvic 20:57 15 Apr 05

Not, I realise, strictly PC, but hoping you can help.
Our Toshiba DVD player refuses to play. It has played faultlessly for several months. Tonight, when we put in a DVD we get 'disc playback unauthorized'. My first thought is that this is a region problem, but I played other tracks on the same disc on Monday with no problem. I have checked the DVD on my PC. No problem.
The only thing I can think of is that, on Tuesday and Wednesday we recorded a couple of TV programmes which we viewed (without problem) yesterday evening. The RW discs say that they are CPRS compatable, as does the DVD player. Could the DVD-RW disc have changed the region setting?
I've looked for region change solutions on the net without success. In any case, I am not prepared to use unsupported hacks for what could be a fault with the player.

Any ideas?

cdb 21:03 15 Apr 05

Dirty laser?

ricvic 21:06 15 Apr 05

No: it plays the tv content we recorded on Tues & Weds, but not the pre recorded content it used to play before Tuesday.

ricvic 21:06 15 Apr 05

But thanks for your contribution!

timeteam2004 09:16 16 Apr 05

click here This will take you to a vast DVD Region Hack Archive. Type in your players model number and see what you get.

jack 09:23 16 Apr 05

I would think the DVD Player[ Its is a simple player is it not ? Not a recorder?] is reading/ Not finding
a something on the recorded disks and is some how retaining this setting when the other DVD is offered.
I wonder how about powering off the the machine [unplugging it from the mains] perchance it will reset itself to a default setting.

Sans le Sou 09:41 16 Apr 05

| am not familiar with these machines, but is there somewhere in the menu that you can change the disk type manually, presuming that by pre recorded you mean a pressed DVD or other non RW disc.

ricvic 11:18 16 Apr 05

Thank you for your suggstions.
Sans: Yes, pressed disc! No, I've looked through the menus.

Jack: It is a DVD recorder & player. It plays content which it has recorded, but (as of last night) not pre-recorded content. I have tried unplugging, to no effect.

Timeteam: No hacks listed for my kit.

I have phoned Toshiba. They will take it back for a fix under warranty, but I'm not happy. Thank you for your help and support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…