DVD playing on xp windows media player HOW?

gel 09:40 17 Jul 05

Hello
I have DVD rom installed and windows media player .
I would like to play a dvd It seems I need a bit of software as a decoder?
Would someone kindly suggest a suitable reliable free down load
Many thaks
gel

rawprawn 10:03 17 Jul 05

I would also like to know the answer, over a period of time I have had several versions of Win MP. some played DVD's and some didn't, my present MP10 does not, I am told it needs the correct codecs, I have "Power DVD" which works fine but I believe this program is the problem not being compatible with Win MP10.
I know of no free program that will solve this problem, and since I can play DVD's using Power DVD it is not essential but it is very annoying.

ashdav 10:32 17 Jul 05

You need mpeg2 codecs to view DVDs in WMP10.click here
Download and install the Klite codec pack. You will be presented with a scroll down list of codecs to install. Leave the setting to default/standard (can't remember the exact word). Scroll down to where it says Mpeg2 and select Elecard then Ligos. Click next etc. Also on the above site is the Megacodec pack. This includes clean alternatives to Realplayer and Quicktime.

User-312386 10:35 17 Jul 05

or install realplayer click here and install the free one

BRYNIT 10:37 17 Jul 05

Open Media player click on tools/plugins/download plugins this may help you.

Stuartli 14:09 17 Jul 05

I use WMP10 to play DVDs, along with PowerDVD and Nero Showtime.

From WMP Tools>Options>File types, check that DVD is Enabled (best to Select All); you also require a hrdware or software decoder.

rawprawn 14:34 17 Jul 05

Ashdav, I have downloaded and installed the Klite Codec Pack and It has enabled me to play DVD's in the MP Classic but not in MP10 or Real player which is not what I wanted. I could already play DVD's using Power DVD.

BRYNIT, I have the same problem trying to play DVD's in Real Player as I do using MP10, and I did not want to buy further plugins.

Stuarti, I already had done as you suggest with no luck with MP10.I get the following message "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred while configuring copyright protection." My Power DVD is only V 4.

rawprawn 14:35 17 Jul 05

Please excuse me I have no intention of hijacking your thread, but hopefully we both may learn.

Stuartli 15:53 17 Jul 05

Have you checked out if there are any patches for PowerDVD version four? There was one for version five.

Also - and it might not be relevant in this case - from WMP10's Tools>Options>Privacy tab, are the first two boxes checked and the rest unchecked?

CHAIRLEG 20:53 17 Jul 05

In tools options you can set to download codecs on auto with auto updates also enable picture support for devices under Player.Don't know if this makes a difference just had a look at my settings and mine works ok.

gel 20:54 17 Jul 05

Ashdav
I too have down loaded from K-Lite codec pack version 2.5 standard
HTTP Direct Download 1 hosted by liberto.it which gave me Media Player Classic
I put dvd into DVD rom and called it up via the M P Classic screen but then I had message in bottom tray DVD:Invalid Disc Region
But I did see the title of the DVD so I am getting closer Any comments please
I have looked closely at all the other comments and I am very grateful
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…