dvd playerecorder/VHS video recorder combo

conrail 20:16 11 Oct 09

Hi guys, looking for advice for a
dvd recorder/VHS video recorder combo, my current one has made a fizzing sound and packed up, repair centre said it has burnt out and unrepairable so looking for a replacement, been searching for one but prices are about £200, didn't pay anywhere near that about 18 months ago,so looking at paying about £100, have looked on ebay as well as web search, anybody any suggestions? all help gratefully accepted

Terry Brown 20:47 11 Oct 09

I assume you want to transfer VCR to DVD and not the other way around.

Proided you have a reasonable spec computer, why noy buy a PCTV card, and copy to your computer, edit and then burn to DVD.

A reasonable card will cost you about £50.

You will need a DVD Editing/burning program (e.g. Pinnacle )

and a co-ax cable from your VCR to the computer.

If this is OK for you you need to do the following:

After connecting the PCTV card into the computer and loading the software.
Connect the cable to the computer.
Set VCR to AV mode
On your software select autotune (Channel finder).
It will find your recorder and all you have to do then is set the record on your computer and press play on the VCR.
You can then edit out any thing you do ot want (i.e. Adverts)before burning to DVD.

A very good editing software package is VideoReDo.

This set up has the advantage, that you can add a freeview box, and record freeview to DVD by the same method.

If you still want to stick to your original plan, have a look at these sites.
Terry

conrail 20:54 11 Oct 09

thanks Terry, will look at that option, want to tranfer all vidios, ie disney, etc. bought for children to dvd for new granddaughter when she is a little older, I presume that as long as I keep original videas I can copy them to dvd without infringing copyright

conrail 20:58 11 Oct 09

just thought, I have Dazzle video creator, cyberlink dvd suite, pinacle instant dvd creator and Serif burning studio, just need a video recorder

Covergirl 21:44 11 Oct 09

. . .about copy protection on videotapes.

Last year I borrowed Sleeping Beauty on an official Disney VHS tape, never got chance to watch it, so before I returned it to my neighbour I thought I'd pop it onto DVD so I could watch it later.

The VHS player is about 5 years old and the DVD /HDD freeview player/recorder is 2 years old and it wouldn't do it due to copy protection.

Hopefully you've taken this into consideration before you shell out on new kit.

conrail 21:59 11 Oct 09

thanks Covergirl, have not had any problems so far but nhave't done them all

eedcam 22:14 11 Oct 09

several here around the £150 mark and by far the best route cards and gizmos to get it on the pc are fraught with problems and once you have it on dvd there is free software for basic editng
click here

conrail 10:01 12 Oct 09

thanks eedcam, I will look at that option

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…