DVD player won't run!

RobbieRoberts 12:07 03 Aug 06

Hi,
My DVD player has decided not to run.
The computer "knows" it is there i.e. the light flashes on start up and when a disc is inserted BUT when I try to read it via "My Computer" the message "insert a disc" appears.
I have tried uninstalling it and restarting the computer --- which "finds" the drive but still will not pick up when a disc is inserted!
SiSandra also asks me to insert a disc, as doew Power Desk 6 and vcom's Fix-it Utilities 6 Professional's PC Diagnostics!
Has the driver that Windows XP (home with SP2) uses got corrupted or is there something else?
I cannot give you the make & model of the drive, as neither SiSandra or PC Diagnostics can name it.
Many Thanks,
Robbie Roberts

ArrGee 12:15 03 Aug 06

Have you tried to update the driver in device manager?

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:12 03 Aug 06

There is a possible fix at;
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 03 Aug 06

As your drive is not seeing a CD /DVD in the drive.

1. In device manager uninstall the player and reinstall it
2. test if the problem is solved.

3. if not solved then in device manager uninstall and reinstall the IDE channel the drive is on.
4. retest

5. IF still same then open case and check / renew IDE cable fully inserted at drive and motherboard
6. retest

7 if still no good then read laser has burnt out a new drive is required.

rodriguez 17:55 03 Aug 06

You should do what Fruit Bat /\0/\ says and check the IDE cables etc. Then put a bootable CD-ROM in and try and boot from it. This will rule out Windows drivers. Just make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD and try it. If it still fails to read the disc, or it sits there for ages trying to read it and eventually fails then you will need a new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…