dvd player wont play dvd's

Josie29 14:55 22 Jan 05

I've just had a new dvd player installed but it wont play dvd's.
When insert a dvd I get the following message
"windows media player cannot play the dvd because a compatable dvd decoderis not installed on your computer". can any one help me here, i was under the impresion that as soon as the dvd rom was installed i would have no problems watching my dvd's.
The dvd was not a copy.

ACOLYTE 15:01 22 Jan 05

Most dvd players come with dvd software that has all the decoders with it if yours did install it if it didnt you need to find the decoder needed,what OS are you using and what version of WMP?

gudgulf 15:33 22 Jan 05

Windows media player needs an add-on decoder to play dvd's.This you have to pay for,but as ACOLYTE points out you should have been provided with some dvd playing software such as WinDVD or PowerDVD with the new player.
Was the the dvd player new and who fitted it for you?...Might be worth asking them if they have the software for it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 22 Jan 05

CODECS
click here

woodchip 15:48 22 Jan 05

You need a Program AS "Power DVD"

rubella 16:07 22 Jan 05

click here is the best codec identification tool I’ve used. Good kit.

Stinky’s MPEG-2 codec gives me drag an drop DVD into an open windows media player 9 running XP pro. It’ll also let you open the little rascals in TEMPGenc.

rubella 16:13 22 Jan 05

oops, bloodclot, here's the link to Stinky’s MPEG-2 codec click here

Josie29 16:36 22 Jan 05

i found a copy of power dvd i had , installed it and everything is ok now.
thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…