Dvd Player picture.

heavymetalkid 22:12 10 Jul 06

Not a computer problem really,hope it's ok. I've just bought a new DVD player and the picture plays back with diagonal wavy lines, more noticeable on a dark picture. Duff player or is it something I can tweak?

Diversion 22:22 10 Jul 06

Have got it connected by a scart lead? if so it will be a fault with the player.

De Marcus™ 22:24 10 Jul 06

Try changing the scart lead or making sure each end of the cable is pushed firmly home.

heavymetalkid 22:24 10 Jul 06

Evening pal and thanks,yep it's a scart. Picture looks good until darker bits, then wavy lines are revealed.

heavymetalkid 22:25 10 Jul 06

Hi Marcus, tried a different lead...still the same.

De Marcus™ 22:29 10 Jul 06

Do you have another TV to try it on?

skidzy 22:30 10 Jul 06

Have you the scart plugged into the rgb socket,this is normally named or av1
Also,do you have a video player plugged into the tv at the same time.if so ...try unplugging the video player to see if your picture improves.

If like me,you have loads of leads at the back of your tv,try moving them around a little,then make sure the scarts are pushed in firmly.

De Marcus™ 22:32 10 Jul 06

As per skidzy, run through the AV channel list on your TV to make sure it's on the right one.

skidzy 22:38 10 Jul 06

Radio-frequency interference.

Nowadays there is growing use of electrical equipment which emits radio waves. Most of these applicances are properly licensed and filtered so that only agreed frequencies are used. Some are not, and this can affect your pictures in one or more of the following ways:

Wavy lines,
Ripples,
Herringbones,
Fixed waffle patterns,
S patterns,
Loss of colour.

Sometimes the interference switches on or off suddenly and for part of the time picture quality is normal. Sometimes, other units such as the video recorder, DVD player or a signal booster can cause interference. Try disconnecting these from your system and plug your aerial directly into your television set. If the problem disappears the interference is being caused by one of your units.You can work out which by reconnecting the units until the problem recurs.

Hope this helps

Diversion 22:42 10 Jul 06

If you try AV1 or AV2 that may make a difference on the TV, I have a DVD recorder that is the same when it's a dark image. But if I change the AV in the display on the recorder it's fine, and that’s scart to scart. I also have a 5 disc DVD player but that is fine, but with the player I've got from scart in the back of the player to jack plugs on the widescreen TV one for the picture and left & right channel audio.

skidzy 22:55 10 Jul 06

Handy tip to try.. similar to what Diversion is saying.If you do have a vcr/sky/freeview etc connected.

> Turn them off and try the dvd player,this will eliminate interference from the other devices.

> If you find you have interference from the vcr..now turn the vcr back on,let the dvd play as normal and change through the vcr channels while the dvd is playing.

> Does your picture improve if vcr channels are changed.

> Same idea if you have sky/freeview etc and any other devices connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac