DVD player doesnt recognize disc

Brundy 21:04 09 Oct 03

(Dell Inspiron 8100 mobile cpu 1200mhz Xp pro)
Just had a DVD burnt by 'Jessops', & the Samsung CDRW/DVD doesnt recognise that theres a disc inserted.(nor does explorer) Drive plays 'normal' CD's/DVD's ok. have spent 3 hours looking for solutions & am now really confused!! Do I need to Upgrade firmware? upgrade the windvd or the player? Help!! Must be something simple as the DVD plays on my sisters computer & on her DVD player. Also have all the latest upgrades from microsoft.
p.s As you can see, I'm a novice user!!!

gold 47 22:35 09 Oct 03

Did your player come with it's own software??
i use power DVD Win DVD i have found can cause problems in some cases,you will get better advice later from other people on the forum.

Brundy 22:48 09 Oct 03

gold 47
Thanks...yes came with windvd 3, also have Inter Actual Player 2 & media player 9. I'm sure if I knew what format this DVD was written in I could then start to sort it out. Jessops havent helped.
Heeeeelp!!!

dazzling (work) 22:56 09 Oct 03

think you might find win dvd 3 isnt compatible with xp pro i think they recommend version 4.media player 9 reads dvd though go into tools> options>file types and make sure dvd is ticked and try using that.darren

Brundy 23:18 09 Oct 03

Dazzling
Thanks...had already tried Media Player & DVD is enabled.... The Drive just does'nt seem to recognise this particular DVD, other DVD's are recognised & play even with windvd 3. When I open either windvd/wmp/inter actual/ they all say 'no disk inserted'. All I want to do is watch my holiday movie!!!

Brundy 12:36 10 Oct 03

Received a rapid response from Samsung, who suggested that the type of DVD Media inserted was probably not supported by the firmware on the drive, but as the product was supplied by Dell I should go back there to upgrade the firmware, as the drivers would be different to the ones Samsung uses. So I did that & hoorah!!! can now watch my holiday video!!! No more nervous breakdown

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…