DVD PLAYBACK PROBLEM

urban gorilla 17:53 08 Feb 03

i have built in cd/dvd combi ( TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1212) that came with my now 3 yr old p3 450mhz w98 pc. until now i have never tried out the dvd player and now i found the the film does not play.
i have no clue what i have to do to watch the film. it says dvd-rom on the device so does it mean it is read only and not suitable for films?
do i need to download software like power dvd?
please advise.

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 17:57 08 Feb 03

silly question, but as you have never used it to watch a dvd before, have you got the software loaded??? will proberly be power dvd

urban gorilla 18:36 08 Feb 03

thanks for the quick response.
i thought the software required to play dvd, considering a dvd player came with the pc, would have been pre-loaded. if it is how do i find it and if not where do i go to download it?

VoG™ 18:39 08 Feb 03

Here's one - not brilliant but free click here

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 18:50 08 Feb 03

It will proberly be on your start/programes menu if it is power dvd will be in a folder named cyberlink, as its a toshiba i am pretty certain it will be power dvd, if not on the comp look on the reastore discs etc,

urban gorilla 19:07 08 Feb 03

I did as you said but did not find cyberlink in programs. i entered 'dvd' in find files on my computer and double clicked on one of the flies that took me windows 98 help. it said to play the dvd i must go to start,program,accessories then dvd. i got to the accessories and dvd was not listed in the drop down menu. does this mean that the dvd device is not recognised?
second: if i have to download a software, which one should i go for and where?
VoG™ thanks for your link, is it good?

VoG™ 19:13 08 Feb 03

Maximus DVD is OK. I used it for a while after installation of XP mangled my previous ATI DVD player. I now have Power DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…