DVD Playback Not Fluent

Mio 17:09 17 Jul 03

I have problems with my DVD-Rom Drive.
When playing a DVD, the video playback is not fluent i.e. it seems as if the image hangs for short periods. The DVD plays perfectly for the first few minutes and then starts slowing down for 15 - 40 secs. then picks up again.
This happens all the way throughtout the film.
This happens with all types of DVD.
I have checked and confirmed that DMA is set for the drive. I am using a Pentium 4 PC (2.8 GHz.)
with 512K memory in a Windows XP Environment.
I have used different display resolutions but the problem is still there, but not as bad with low resolutions.
I have been told to look at the graphics acceleration settings via the Control Panel and the System Icon but have been unable to locate this acceleration slider to check the settings.
Any ideas ?
Any comments / advice / help will be greatly appreciated.

dth 17:27 17 Jul 03

There should be no problems playing DVDs with the spec of your p/c. I would suspect that the problem is with your graphic card. What make of graphic card do you have?

Mio 17:43 17 Jul 03

The Graphics card is:
128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX
Sound Card is:
Creative Labs SB Live 5.1
How do you check settings on a graphics card ?

madPentium 17:52 17 Jul 03

Have you tried a dvd lens cleaner in the drive?
It sounds like it may be having problems reading the dvd disks.

Mio 09:19 18 Jul 03

Thanks for your advice. But this is a brand new drive and the problems were happening from day one. I will give it a go anyway.
Could it be a faulty drive. Any easy way to check this out ?

-pops- 10:22 18 Jul 03

Could be that you have a lot of programs running at the same time and hogging the RAM. Try closing all non-essential programs and see if that helps. If it does, you might consider adding another stick or two of RAM to help out.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…