DVD or PSU crashing PC

jock23 20:15 18 May 08

I have had a new pc built from a company on ebay, had it over a year now and its pretty good.

Only problem arose a few months ago when I had a problem whenever I put a DVD/CD in the DVD drive it would crash the computer. I checked the drivers and everything but nothing helped. I eventually took the DVD drive out, replaced it with an older, slower DVD writer and everything seemed to work fine.

Recently however, the problem has reoccured. Sometimes it is taking 3/4 go's at putting a dvd in (whether its a video or blank) to get it working.

Also recently I have been getting a blue screen coming up. Someone said this may be a memory issue, basically I took the side panel off, cleaned up inside and let it cool and switched it back on and everything seemed fine.

Is this a motherboard issue, a faulty PSU or a DVD problem???

Thanks

skidzy 20:37 18 May 08

Sounds like a faulty psu to me jock.

Check the wattage,you should be looking for something in the region of 500w upwards really.

The only way to check this,is to look on the psu itself,you may have to remove the psu.

Also how much ram is installed ?

jock23 21:15 18 May 08

2gb of SDRAM in 2 slots.

It says that the max output power of the PSU is 450W

skidzy 22:37 18 May 08

Although not aimed at your problem jock,here are a few ideas to try.Possible conflict somewhere or even a corrupt registry.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

jock23 10:59 19 May 08

Well apparently my winpower PSU is a crappy one, so I am thinking about replacing that and seeing if it helps. Any suggestions for a good 450-500W PSU under £50

One other thing, my CPU Temp seems to be rather high (about 73C). Is that causing me a problem and how easy is it to sort? I have 2 case fans.

Totally-braindead 11:21 19 May 08

It is a bit high in my opinion, dangerously so. That could be your entire problem. If the CPU overheats the system will shut down to prevent damage. So the power supply might not be the culprit, it could be using the DVD is enough to increase the temps slightly enough to cause shutdown.

Initially what I would do is open the case and check all fans are actually running. Get a brand new clean paint brush and brush all dust off the fans and the inside of the case and blow all the dust out. Double check all connections as its easy to know something loose and retry the PC.

You can run it with the sides off for short periods of time but do not do this for extended periods of time as believe it or not this can make it run hotter.

Do this and see what happens. If it runs perfectly then its not the power supply but its the heat.

crosstrainer 11:39 19 May 08

That temperature IS far to high, as Totally-braindead suggests, check those fans...For PSU's have a look here:

click here

Remember, you must choose the correct type for your machine....Don't be tempyed by ultra cheap...You get what you pay for!

jock23 13:41 19 May 08

thanks for the advice, i will try it tonight.

Is there a program i can use to monitor the temps on windows, rather that use the BIOS as I heard that may gave a false reading as there is nothing happening when they view it?

I tried Motherboard monitor this morning but it didnt come up with any reading when installed

skidzy 16:55 19 May 08

SIW will give you the hdd and cpu temps as will PCWizard click here click here

Check your heatsink fan is working ok.

Totally-braindead 18:45 19 May 08

Or look at your motherboard disk. Most computers come with a disk containing the motherboard drivers and you may find that theres a program on the disk that will do this.
There is another program I have heard of but I'm afraid that at the moment I can't recall its name - if I do remember I will post back.

skidzy 18:56 19 May 08

Might be worth trying out Speedfan and see what this says ;

SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant