DVD not recoginsed by Windows XP

sloand28 10:52 20 Oct 06

I'm now having a problem to get my DVD rom to be recognised by WindowsXP pro, it will accept DVD rom as a CR rom and this allows me to use it as a CD, but can not use DVD and this doesn't show in any programmes that I have a DVD rom connected, is there any out there who knows why WindowsXP doesn't recognise the DVD rom and allow it on to the system, if I play a film on my pc through powerdvd 6 it plays to movie, but givees me the background for the music, then when I try to burn it states no DVD connected.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 20 Oct 06

XP will not recognise a DVD drive only CD drives, you need third party software to play or burn DVDs.

As you already have Power DVD to play DVDs
you need something like Nero to burn a DVD.

sloand28 17:00 20 Oct 06

thanks for you suggestion,but had nero6 already on system but it would not burn files that I had previously burnt to disc. there were several file names not recognised even though they were downloaded with nero. Windows media does'n't acknowledge a DVD rom is connected to system either, it acknowledges that there is a Cd rom not DVd rom connected. As for burning, I get throught to the stage where it asks to burn select device, but can not find DVD rom.

skidzy 20:55 20 Oct 06

Sorry if i sound a bit picky here,but you mention dvd rom are you sure this is a dvd writer and not just a dvd rom.

If you do have a dvd writer,look in device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks beside the dvd drive.You can uninstall this from device manager and reboot and xp will load the generic drivers.From there its as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says,you will need a burning software to write to the dvd,power dvd will not do this as its a play movie package only.

Device Manager:

Start/Right Click My Computer/Properties/hardware/Device Manager.

sloand28 01:06 21 Oct 06

its a writer but there are no Queston marks by the driver,and I have already tried re installing the driver but get the same response. It just want show a DVD in any writing progammes I use, just the specs for a cd.

malwarehater 01:32 21 Oct 06

Sloan.

Have u tried just disconnecting the drive...then start windows up, go to my computer to check that the drive is gone altogether, then restart windows and now see if the drive shows up properly....It's done the trick for me a few times.......ALSO..just out of curiosity,did you try Nero InfoTool to see if it registered there as a dvd burner.

If you've tried practically everything and it still wont register properly it sounds like a faulty drive.

sloand28 01:47 21 Oct 06

Tried disconnect internal writer and putting in another from a different machine that was working, same response, also tried external writer and that gave the same response, looks like I'll havae to junk it and start a fresh, as there doesn't seem to be an answer yet, going to try reloading everything on a new hard frive later today, and see if that has any effect, any more suggestion greatly accepted.

skidzy 08:50 21 Oct 06

Just possibly:

If you have uninstalled Nero before you may have a problem with the upper and lower filters.Clearing these may sort your problem.

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

If in any doubt when editing the registry create a restore point first.This may be a related problem there again may not.It is an option for you.

sloand28 10:30 21 Oct 06

Thanks for that advise about the registry, have tried it as it is one of the solution that microsoft give you, as it is now getting to the point where we have tried most or nearly all the known solution, I'm taking my pc to the local shop and gettinng him to check the motherboard in case there is a problem there.
Still willing to try anything that might help to save me spending out too much.
Thanks all of you for your assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…