DVD but not CD ??

rupie 22:24 01 Oct 04

The Drive in my laptop will read DVD's but not CD's. It will read Data DVD, DVDR and Film DVD. It will not read Any type of cd (audio or Data). Could it be a hardware failure does the drive physically read DVDs differently ??. There is no software faults and the pc sees the drive all the time.

Kryten 22:55 01 Oct 04

I had the same problem and had to have a new drive.

Mandy265 05:01 02 Oct 04

Sorry to inform you.
Normally you would just replace the drive,prices being so low.
However laptops I would doublecheck my drivers and firmware- if that doesnt work come back here we will sort something out,

crimbo 08:16 02 Oct 04

This happened on my laptop, and i was informed that DVD Drives have two lasers, one to read DVD's and one to read CD's.If one goes, then the answer is to get anoother drive. The manufacturer of my laptop talked me through fitting the replacement on the phone, but if you're not confident, it is a relatively straightforward job for any reputable professional. My first port of call would be your vendors support line.
Regards, Kevin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…