Dvd makes laptop crash

dobbin 11:47 08 Jan 07

Dvd makes laptop crash

Whenever I try to play a dvd it makes my computer crash. At first it stated that there was no dvd decoder so I downloaded 'sonic cineplayer' and tried again and the screen went black and the computer hung. I then tried VLC Media player which managed the opening sequence before the computer hung and then Real Player which also made it hang.

I have tried reducing the screen resolution and also the colour quality but this has had no effect.

I downloaded a new driver for the DVD-Rom [Toshiba SD-R2512]. The DVD's all work on other computers so are not faulty and this Laptop runs windows xp sp2 and has a mobile Athlon xp 2600+ processor.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Technotiger 11:52 08 Jan 07

Hi, does this happen with all dvd's or just a particular dvd? If it happens with all, then it looks as if the DVD Rom might be faulty. If that is the case, try a Cleaning disc in the drive, might simply be a dirty lens.

dobbin 12:14 08 Jan 07

It happens with all dvd's although cd's play ok. I will pop out at lunchtime and buy a cleaning disc and see if this solves the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…