DVD Lens Replacement

Narayan Adhikari 06:17 21 Mar 06

I have a Sony DAV-S550 Home Cinema System. The player skips and freezes DVDs, even the new ones. I think the lens is worn out. I tried cleaning it manually by opening the box. Improved slightly, but problem still persists.

I tried looking for parts in the web and came across
'laser pickup', 'optical deck' etc. etc. I can replace the parts myself. Can you please suggest where can I get such repair parts?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

john-232317 07:13 21 Mar 06

I would think the price of dvd players now would make it cheaper and easier to buy a new unit ;-)

The Old Mod 07:43 21 Mar 06

Just a thought, but could you not buy a new player and input into your Sony so that you can still use the cinema system?

The Old Mod 07:44 21 Mar 06

Just a thought, but could you not buy a new player and input into your Sony so that you can still use the cinema system?

Narayan Adhikari 07:47 21 Mar 06

But how do I connect the speakers and subwoofer to the new DVD Player? Any conversion cable available or is there any other way?

Thanks 'The Old Mod'.

jack 07:59 21 Mar 06

We live in the age of "Service by Replacement"
No longer are 'spare parts' available not for kettles or components of IT based systems.
Just bin it and get the next one.
Sad but true.

€dstowe 08:30 21 Mar 06

Any reasonable quality DVD player will have a number of audio output methods - analogue, digital and digital/optical. Check and compare with your current unit before you buy.

(Having looked inside a defunct DVD player, I doubt very much that a replacement of anything in there would be successful, even if it were available.)

Stuartli 09:22 21 Mar 06

You are highly unlikely to have the laser lens alignment equipment even if you could replace the laser..:-)

How old is the Sony as it could still be under warranty?

The Old Mod 17:11 21 Mar 06

Hi Narayan, I assumed that you would be able to output from a cheapy new player and input to the Davs, via phone plugs/sockets, I know that a friend of mine has done it that way on his Davs 300, nothing wrong with the 300, but limited on what it would play, where most modern cheapys will play almost anything you bung in them, and he can still have his cinema system running. It would mean having both players switched on.
Hope this helps.

Narayan Adhikari 00:34 22 Mar 06

Thanks 'The Old Mod', your latest response clicked my mind now. I am definitely going to Sunday Market next weekend to get the cheapy player and get it connected to my existing system via phono connections.

Great Help!

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…