DVD installation not recognised by my computer

Bill&Ben 09:58 10 Nov 05

I have installed a new DVD player in the slot that held a CD player (drive 'E'), (I still have a CD RW installed) using all the existing wiring,ie audio cable, IDE cable, power cable.
I then used the installation CD in drive 'D', the CD RW, and all the necessary data was installed, on the screen to play a DVD I press play & nothing happens, when I use the eject button this does work. No where on my computer is the drive 'E' for this DVD player mentioned, only drive 'D' for the CDRW. It appears that Drive 'E' is not recognised, I would add I am a novice PC user, any help please, thanking you. Bill & Ben

PaulB2005 10:00 10 Nov 05

Did you set the Jumpers correctly?

keewaa 10:02 10 Nov 05

If you go into the Bios during boot up (by pressing F2 or another key during initial boot), does it show up in there under the drives ?

Stuartli 11:17 10 Nov 05

The rewriter should be the Master and the player the Slave.

Try Removing your new drive from Device Manager and then rebooting. Windows should then Add New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

Stuartli 11:19 10 Nov 05

You are best keeping rewriters for their key purpose - burning - and use your DVD-ROM drive for installing software, applications, playing DVDs and audio CDs etc.

Rewriters don't have the same longevity as basic drives as a glance at manufacturers' MPTU figures will reveal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…