dvd games on fat32

mec13 11:18 03 Jan 05

My son recently purchased a pc game(medal of honour, pacific assault)and for some reason this machine of ours can't seem to cope. The spec is 2 yr old Ath 2.6,radeon 256mb 9200 graphic card, 160gb hd, 1024 memory. Xp home on fat32. From previous post's it seems fat32 can only cope up to a certain size files, and these new 'dvd games' seem to getting bigger and bigger, is this the reason why this game of my son's will not 'play', or am I showing my comeplete lack of computer knowledge for anyone to see!

ACOLYTE 11:25 03 Jan 05

I would say that the problem is the G-Card not having the power to run the game,try lowering the visual settings.Can he get it playing at all?

drew645 11:34 03 Jan 05

Yeah it's a good system but they've economised on the graphics. I have the same card and it won't play new games at the best levels. I agree turn down the
settings for game, it should play at lower resolution.
I tried Far Cry demo (recent fast game) and at decent levels game wouldn't run at all.
I'm considering upgrading my card but good cards aren't cheap.
Regards
Drew

herc182 11:46 03 Jan 05

the card isnt the best but it should run the latest games (albeit not at the highest resolutions or detail settings). your system is still very capable of playing the latest games. do as suggested and lower the settings. if that doesnt work then you may need to update the drivers for the graphics card from the ati website (or use omega drivers click here)

i have athlon 2000+, 1.5gb RAM and an ati radeon 8500LE 64mb card (which is no where near the best) and i can play all latest games at modest settings (although i had to upgrade my drivers for my recent purchase of half life 2.

no need to upgrade card in my opinion. to do so would mean you want to run the game at the highest settings with all the effects turned on. if that what you want then get ready to shell out a few hundred pounds (as well as a new mobo).

cheers

mec13 12:38 03 Jan 05

obviously from all your responces, the fat32 dosn't come into it at all. Half Life2,played no problem, on this machine on the games default settings, but the game mentioned(Medal of Honour) shuts down the moniter(flat screen)comepletly, the games is still coming thro the speakers. I did go on-line to download the latest drivers(I think) from 'ag neovo', that didn't improve anything at all. For the sake of my Son's sanity, I welcome any more suggestions please.

ACOLYTE 12:45 03 Jan 05

May be that the sreen refresh/resolition rate is to high in game,can you try starting the game in the games safe mode.

ACOLYTE 12:46 03 Jan 05

Sorry wrong game .lol is there an auto configure option? try running this.

TomJerry 13:00 03 Jan 05

get a new graphics card, for example Radeon 9600 128mb Ddr - Agp8x Dvi/tv-out £56.12 click here

file system does not matter, even the game is big, but the individual files are not big. if you are really worry about disk file system format, convert to ntfs is just a few click away

TomJerry 13:07 03 Jan 05

Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb Ddr - Agp8x Dvi/tvo Retail £84.50 click here

Connect3d ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB DVI TV-Out Retail Box £89.76 click here

mec13 13:35 03 Jan 05

you dont think my Son is going to waste his, ahem! well earned xmas money on boring things like g cards, thats what us daft parents are here for. If half Life2 played no problem, then this other game I would have thought done the same. All the above suggestion I have tried apart from a new card, which is looking a probability I suppose. One more little thing, I did try a site which tested your drivers on-line, my results were poor according to this site. I could buy driver updates there and then for about 75% of my machine, to improve my performance(so they claim). Is this a true reflection of my machine, or is someone after my money.

TomJerry 14:02 03 Jan 05

from each compoent manufaturer's own web site for free

I really doubt you can get any thing out from those after your money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…