DVD Formats?

terry19 21:13 04 Nov 05

I am considering buying an external DVD drive as my Toshiba laptop only has a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and I want to be able to store data on DVD's. I have no experience of DVD's and am somewhat confused by the various formats. Would it matter whether I used DVD-R or DVD+R discs for data storage? Could a DVD in either of these formats, once written, be accessed, and files transferred, to any other computer? I have read that different companies support different formats. For instance Toshiba supports DVD-R whilst Dell supports DVD+R. I know it's probably a silly question, but would a Toshiba computer only read a DVD-R disc and a Dell computer only read a DVD+R disc. I presume each must read both formats but I am a little unsure.

woodchip 21:28 04 Nov 05

You can get a Multi Format Dual Layer Drive that will do all

click here

terry19 21:55 04 Nov 05

Thanks for your response. I appreciate that I can buy a drive to write all formats. Upon re-reading my post, it is obviously very badly worded. My main question is, Once I have my drive would it matter whether I used DVD-R or DVD+R discs for data storage? Could a DVD in either of these formats, once written, be accessed, and files transferred, to any other computer?

Cheers,

Terry.

pj123 11:21 05 Nov 05

Most (if not all) PC based DVD Writers and DVD ROMs these days are Multi format so I would say "Yes" they can be accessed by other computers. I haven't come up against any that won't yet. Even my Dual Layer +R disks can be read on my second computer that doesn't have a Dual Layer drive.

woodchip 13:47 05 Nov 05

Stand alone DVD players Recorders however seem to use DVD+

pj123 17:06 05 Nov 05

woodchip, again I beg to differ. I have only come up against one standalone DVD player that will only play DVD+. My own standalone Liteon DVD recorder is multi format and region free.

But the question was

"Could a DVD in either of these formats, once written, be accessed, and files transferred, to any other computer?"

terry19 19:45 06 Nov 05

Thanks for your help guys. After reading your replies and a number of web pages, I have now clarified the matter.

Cheers,

Terry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…