DVD format compatability for newbie please??

stugra 20:16 18 Nov 04

I am about to dive into a digital camcorder. I have purchased a firewire port card to get the data onto my PC, but know I will then have to burn to DVD.

Which DVD burner format should I buy to be able to play the DVD on my normal Panasonic DVD player please??

I am eyeing a Samsung DVD-R and DVD+R compatible burner (with RW facility). Is this good?

Thanks

TomJerry 20:33 18 Nov 04

what is model. Generally, you can get latest model dual format dual (double) layer, 12x speed around £50, so shop around.

As you DVD player compatability noone really know. Just try ouit yourself. My experience, +R, -R no problem. -RW no problem, +RW some disc brand OK and some disc brand Not. As for player, cheap Chinese players handle better than expensive famous brands.

TomJerry 20:33 18 Nov 04

what is model. Generally, you can get latest model dual format dual (double) layer, 12x speed around £50, so shop around.

As you DVD player compatability noone really know. Just try ouit yourself. My experience, +R, -R no problem. -RW no problem, +RW some disc brand OK and some disc brand Not. As for player, cheap Chinese players handle better than expensive famous brands.

stugra 20:36 18 Nov 04

Model of burner is Samsung TS-H552B £40 in PC World (for once they seem to be the cheapest!!)

TomJerry 22:17 19 Nov 04

I used Samsung CDRW before and satisfied.

stugra 11:48 20 Nov 04

For the info of other newbies - my 3 yr old panasonic dvd player, according to panasonic, will not accept dvd -r or +r disks. A consideration when you are costing going into digital home movies - will just watch them on my PC for now until VCR goes down and have excuse for a dvd recorder for the telly!!!

SEASHANTY 13:55 20 Nov 04

The latest Panasonic DVD players will play most DVD
formats including DVD-RAM discs. One of the few players that will play RAM discs.

woodchip 14:12 20 Nov 04

You should check that your DVD player will play Home made DVD's

Rayuk 16:05 20 Nov 04

Go click here
See if your DVDplayer is listed and whether it will play dvdr- or + etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…