dvd flashing nightmare

gingepaul 22:09 03 Jan 04

ello all and i hope you all had a nice chrimbo.
my mate has just flashed his dvd writer and its failed 1/2 way through the windows installer, its a nec 1300a and it was the official installer for the 1.09 firmware.
now what ive heard is sometimes u can rescue a drive by useing the dos installer, thing is i cant find my way round dos, so i just need a little help getting the right prompts.
basically i got to make a wim me boot disc and put 2 files on it, a bin file and an exe file, then need to boot with it and tell the system to use em, heres the instructions ive got with the firmware.......

To flash choose:
NEC1x00A.EXE -sec -sla -flash newbin.bin (Replace newbin.bin by the filename of the .bin-file included in your RAR-archive e.g. nec108au.bin)

i got no idea how to get to this point and remember having i nightmare last time i tried navigating round dos.
i'm not lazy and aint scared of gettin me hands dirty, but i just aint got a clue.
any help would be appreciated.

oh and could anyone tell me where to get a plain win me bootdisc from?

gingepaul 22:10 03 Jan 04

dunno why this posted 3 times,it wasnt me. lol.

Big Elf 22:15 03 Jan 04

Boot disk from click here

Copy the NEC files to the floppy then type in the commands you listed above to run the updater and keep your fingers crossed.

Big Elf 22:16 03 Jan 04

P.S. Make a note in the other threads to say it's duplicated and click as resolved so we (well me anyway) don't get confused.

gingepaul 22:28 03 Jan 04

i looked on there m8 but could on;y find the full boot discs, not the plane me boot discs, the ones ive tried dont leave enough room for the files to fit on, im using 1.44 mb floppys

Big Elf 22:35 03 Jan 04

The one at here click here is 864kb. How big are the NEC firmware update files?

Does the NEC firmware update include the option to create a bootable floppy?

gingepaul 23:23 03 Jan 04

654 mb in total, so it should go on a 1.44 floppy, gonna try some more in the morning. cheers for your help.
might need some more though. :)

gingepaul 23:24 03 Jan 04

lol, i mean kb.

gingepaul 23:28 03 Jan 04

ang on, im very tired so sorry if i'm sounding like a stupid ass, but that adds up to 1518 kb.
is 1.44 mb 1440 kb? or more [1024kb in a mb?]

rickf 09:39 04 Jan 04

Don't know the nec but wasn,t there a way to flash via windows? I have just flashed my philips dvdrw with their flashtool in windows.

gingepaul 19:30 09 Jan 04

sorry didnt reply but thanks to all , got it sorted in the end, had to download a 'simple' boot disc, and it all fit, back working again now.

happy new year as well. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…