DVD firmware upgrade

redshift300 20:21 09 Jan 05

I have been using an EMPREX 8 speed DVD burner for some time and have found it to be OK. Using 4x disks it read these as 4x, but when I inserted an 8x disk it read this as 2x. A computer shop told me that my DVD burner needed a firmware upgrade. So I went on to click here as recommended by EMPREX and downloaded the relevent upgrade, result one dead DVD drive. Warning do not use these upgrades from this site. Yes I did follow the instructions correctly.

stalion 20:45 09 Jan 05

Unfortunately this does happen with firmware upgrades sometimes even if you have upgraded with the correct one.General concensus on here is don't do firmware upgrades
Regards

TomJerry 20:53 09 Jan 05
  Stuartli 09:31 10 Jan 05

Firmware updates are/can be fraught with danger and the end result often, as you have sadly discovered, a drive heading for the dustbin or rubbish skip.

A firmware needs to be essential to be undertaken rather than just to save a few minutes burning a disk.

redshift300 19:28 13 Jan 05

Thanks to all who replied.
Fortunately I had a spare drive which I installed, this is the same model but manufactured six months later and must have the upgrade firmware as it reads 8x disks as 8.
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…