dvd film back-ups

mick 1 21:12 29 Feb 04

I'm new to this whole DVD burning thing I'm thinking about buying a DVD burner but first I'd like to know is it possible to make back up copies of my DVD film collection - so I can give the back up copies to my daughter. Does it work just like a CD re-writer? The burner I'm thinking of buying is LG Electronics GSA 4081b

Diodorus Siculus 21:27 29 Feb 04

No, it is not possible to copy DVDs like one can copy CDs.

What is possible is to use a ripping program which will rip the DVD to your hard disk and the resulting file can then be burned to a DVD. But it will not be like the original DVD disk.

HEADCOOK 21:32 29 Feb 04

hi

try dvd decrypter or dvd shrink for 9.4gb dvd's
both will copy dvd's menu's extra's and all.

jim

cdb 21:54 29 Feb 04

With the right program you can copy single layer single sided dvds onoto a dvdr pretty much the same way as doing a cd and this one is a perfect copy.
However just about all dvds now are dual layer and blank discs are single layer, so in this case it's alot of hassle but still possible with software rippers.

wags 22:00 29 Feb 04

Sorry to be a killjoy, but isn't it illegal ? ie in breach of copyright ?

BBez 22:01 29 Feb 04
  dazzling (work) 22:38 29 Feb 04

yes your correct but weve had this discussion a million times now,so i think people just dont bother anymore.darren

mick 1 23:53 29 Feb 04

Thanks!!! to every one for there input.

drew645 04:33 01 Mar 04

I bought the GSA 4081B, it is a good buy. However watch for software conflict if you have - or have had - Easy CD on your computer.
The supplied software B's clip & B's Gold will cause problems but a patch and instructions are available on B's clip site. I had the problem on Windows 98, and it drove me crazy. It is not a problem on XP. For oher Windows versions, check the site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…