dvd file conversion for emailing

bigboab y 11:12 30 Jun 05

I have copied some family videos on to DVD-R discs using a Liteon stand alone DVD recorder.I can watch these on my computer using PowerDVD..Is there a way to convert them to a format which can be sent by email.. to be read at the other end using Windows Media player? I have read thro' the DVD threads on here .but I cant see a post which fits the bill. Cheers all.

€dstowe 11:20 30 Jun 05

A DVD file of any format would most likely be too large to be able to send any useful amount via email.

TomJerry 11:20 30 Jun 05

one way is to extract into avi format and use XP's movie maker to make windows media file

another ways DivX click here, Xvid click here. Both are video formats similar to mp3 for audio.

ACOLYTE 11:23 30 Jun 05

I think the easiest thing would be to make another copy of the DVD and post this to the person,easier than converting to avi or whatever.

scotty 11:24 30 Jun 05

Video files are hugh and unsuitable for e-mailing. Most mail accounts will reject such a large attachment. The file type with the best compression is DivX. Have a look click here for info on converting.

Even when compresssed to view at low resolution the file size will be quite large. You should consider some other means of distributing the video.

bigboab y 11:29 30 Jun 05

I agree Acolyte,posting is probly best..its just that I am a nosey geek-like sod and just wondered if it was possible. When I explore the disc,the files aint that large as I have kept the films to about half an hour each.DVD discs are so cheap these days (20p each),that sort of time scale is feasible.

bigboab y 11:33 30 Jun 05

These days some mail boxes accept up to 1gig storage..e.g Yahoo... the files on my discs are called .vob whatever the hell that means. :-)

SEASHANTY 11:43 30 Jun 05

VOB files click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…