DVD editing question.

Totally-braindead 18:14 27 Sep 05

My videos on the way out and I've been looking at DVD recorders. Really want a DVD/Hard Drive one but they start at £200 a bit over my budget. So what I'm considering just now is this basic DVD recorder at £64.99 click here . Now what I want to do is use CDRWs to record different programs but later on record particular programs, which will then be on several disks and put them on one disk using my PC and its DVD recorder. Now its a bit of a long winded question but can this be done reasonably easily or am I better forgetting it and spending the extra £140 on one with a Hard Drive. Any help/advice gratefully received, especially from anyone whos done this.

freaky 18:57 27 Sep 05

I am in the same market as yourself i.e. buying a DVD Recorder. As a result I have done considerable research, the internet, forum's and by talking to people in the trade.

The result is get a DVD Recorder with a HD. These are now available with 80GB and 160GB. On the internet Forum's the general consensus by people who have purchased Recorder's without HD's.....is that they wished had!!

The three makes which have the best reports are: Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic. Of these the Sony RDRHX510S with 80GB HD receives the most praise. This is the one I will be getting.

The Shop price for these are £399.00. They can be purchased on the Net between £299 and £349. The lowest price was from Curry's at £299.

As regards your alternative suggestion i.e. CDRW's.

I think it would be very time consuming, plus risky if you wish to keep the programs on CDRW's as they detiorate quickly because they have soft layering. You may also find that they would not be compatible with a normal DVD Player used in conjunction with a TV.

Hope the above info' is of help. freaky

Chegs ® 19:01 27 Sep 05

If your PC burner can accept +RW discs,then its as easy as creating a DVD from scratch.(I have successfully burnt many discs,the biggest hassle was figuring out the PC software,and then getting used to using it)

Totally-braindead 19:02 27 Sep 05

Thanks for that, its food for thought. I can't afford £200 or more, I have been looking at this click here and the 160gig one is £40 more but as I said its a bit above my budget.

Chegs ® 19:02 27 Sep 05

Must read posts properly!

Hamish 19:11 27 Sep 05

May I suggest buying a LiteOn LVW-5045 DVD Recorder 160GB HDD. £240 at click here. Liteon has also a very good forum if any help is required. The recorders also support + or - DVDs

Hamish 19:14 27 Sep 05

Sorry, I should have noted your budget

Totally-braindead 19:23 27 Sep 05

Thats all right guys. If I could afford it then I'd be buying the Liteon 160 gig one, if I could only afford £200 then I'd go for the 80 gig one. But you see I'm Scottish, we have a reputation for being tight fisted and I'd hate anyone to get the idea that the Scots are spendthrifts.

I wouldn't be doing much of the copying, perhaps only a one hour program every week as to be honest I think most of the TV is total rubbish. I think I'm going to have to give this a bit more consideration, perhaps I could raise the extra cash by selling some of the family into slavery.

No thinking about it another £1.50 wouldn't really help and I'm genuinely fond of some of them.

freaky 19:42 27 Sep 05

The Liteon from the Novatech link appears to sound OK. But you must remember that at that price some facilities have to be sacrificed i.e.

(a) No Timeslip function.....watch while your DVD is still recording.

(b) No mention of the editing facilities....removing adverts etc from the recording.

(c) No Digital Coaxial Input.....connection for sending digital surround sound, such as Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS to a compatible TV or amplifier.

The list goes on, but these are examples. Also on the Forum's this make has been subject to a lot criticism.

The Sony DVD Recorder I mentioned above, has received a good report in PCA's recent magazine.

Totally-braindead 19:50 27 Sep 05

Thanks for that freaky but £300 is way above my budget theres no way I could justify that no matter how good it is. I'll tick this as resolved as I'm going to have to consider it for a while longer. Thanks all.

freaky 20:08 27 Sep 05

I can appreciate your frugality as a Scotsman, it is a well known fact that if you need a Treasurer, then get a Scotsman !!

Time will probably be on your side, DVD Recorders are relatively new especially those with HD's, consequently they are expensive, although prices are dropping. Probably in 6-12months you will be able to get a Roll's Royce type model for about £200.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…