DVD Drives are no longer shown on My Computer

Bucko1 17:25 12 Dec 05

I went to use Nero 7 Burning Rom today and found that my two DVD drives are no longer listed. I checked on My Computer and they were not there and so I looked on Device Manager and they are listed with a yellow exclamation mark. On the properties box it says:
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Can anyone please tell me how to get them back working? I've tried uninstalling them and letting windows detect them again, but it makes no difference.

Thanks for any help

alan227 17:54 12 Dec 05

Code 19
Your registry may be bad. (Code 19)

To check your registry, click Check Registry. If the registry is bad, Windows will restart your system and go back to a previous registry that is good.

Solution button: Check Registry

This code means that the registry returned an unknown result.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution, which will run Scanreg.exe. If this does not resolve the issue, type "scanreg /restore" (without quotation marks) from a command prompt. Finally, remove the device from Device Manager, and then redetect it using the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 12 Dec 05

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

Bucko1 13:55 13 Dec 05

Thanks very much Alan & Fruit Bat. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Stuartli 14:24 13 Dec 05

Check Device Manager in Safe Mode. If the drives are listed there then the most likely cause is loose connections and/or damaged or faulty leads or cables.

s4wrs 17:50 13 Dec 05

I encountered a similar problem recently and I think is a known microsoft issue. The following is a fix by microsoft known as 'Autoplay Repair Wizard' which I found successful. click here

Bucko1 20:46 18 Dec 05

I did the deletion of the upper and lower filters and it worked a treat. Thanks very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…