DVD drive won't play CDs

plok 17:24 07 Sep 08

I have a Pioneer DVD drive but it won't play audio CDs. It appears to be installed correctly but when I put in a CD, all that happens is an irregular whirring noise. I am using XP and Windows Media Player 11. What can be wrong?

Sheik Yerbouti 17:32 07 Sep 08

Open 'My Computer' and right click the drive (probably D Drive) and select explore....Can you see the playlist ? If so double click a track and see if it plays.

baldydave 17:34 07 Sep 08

I fear that it is on its way out!
the dvd uses different lasers/light frequencies for cd and dvd and it looks like the one for reading cds is kaput.
Hang on a minute is it just audio cds or any cd eg data cds that fails to read?

plok 17:53 07 Sep 08

When I open My Computer, there is a fairly long delay while it whirrs and whirrs and eventually, a dialogue box appear but is empty, as if it has found nothing on the CD. It plays games CDs alright, though. I should add that this DVD player is less than a year old. Still should be OK, shoudn't it?

baldydave 18:00 07 Sep 08

some audio cds will not play on PCs to stop the cds being ripped!
Is it all audio cds or just one your having trouble with?

plok 18:09 07 Sep 08

Well I've just tried a CD on it that's about 20 years old and no joy. I have also tried the CD I was trying to play on another computer I and it played OK.

baldydave 18:22 07 Sep 08

Go to start then control panel then folder options then the TAB file types go down to CDA on look if a program is linked to it eg media player

plok 18:26 07 Sep 08

"CD audio track" is what is listed against it

baldydave 18:33 07 Sep 08

Look in the BOTTOM of that file type box "details for CDA extension" should say opens with then program name - mine is media player.If nothing is there click on change and pick media player

woodchip 18:34 07 Sep 08

The drive mau not support the CD format Not many know that over the years these have changed. As above first try different discs in the Drive. Will it read Data CD's? Like from a Mag

plok 18:43 07 Sep 08

It says "opens with Windows Media Player". It reads (I can't try Every CD I have, take too long)all but music CDs. Reads mag disc but that is a DVD - no problem with DVDs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…